3 Volt DC fan

I looked but had no luck in finding a 3 Volt DC fan.

Can I increase 3 volts to something that will power a higher voltage fan ?

Danke Schon, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

"Andy K"

** Use a 5V fan, get one that has more than enough flow at 5V.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Use a 5V fan, get one that has more than enough flow at 5V.

.... Phil

Phil,

Can you give me some more details ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

--
Sure.

Buy/build a 3V->5V boost converter that'll put out the current your
5V fan needs to start/run.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Try Digikey or Newark.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Digi-Key has several 3.0 V and 3.3 V fans in stock, from US$11 to $50 quantity 1. 0.006 to 0.575 CFM, 0.07 W to 0.3 W.

or

What I think Phil was getting at is that a lot of 5 V nominal fans will still work at 3 V, just more slowly. That's probably why he said to pick a 5 V fan that blows more than you need at 5 V.

Yes. You can buy a switching regulator chip and some external parts to do it, or you can buy it all packaged into a module, ready to go (you put 3 V in one side and 5 V comes out the other). The modules are about US$4 to $11 quantity 1, depending on how much output power you need -

0.25 to 2 W.

or

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Yeah digikey lists ~20 in stock.

Reply to
George Herold

If $4 is just too much, use some bent wire to make a sort of commutator arrangement mounted on the fan. With this, have the 3v charge 2 caps that, connected in series, run the fan. You may need to give the fan a flick to get it started :)

There probably are even less sensible ways.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"Andy K" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

I looked but had no luck in finding a 3 Volt DC fan.

Can I increase 3 volts to something that will power a higher voltage fan ?

Danke Schon, Andy

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"Andy K" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

I looked but had no luck in finding a 3 Volt DC fan.

Can I increase 3 volts to something that will power a higher voltage fan ?

Danke Schon, Andy

***

You can google for DC-DC convertors. 3V to 5V or even 3V to 12V. They are out there but expensive, especially when you need some hunderds of milliamps to drive a fan. There are also hundreds or maybe even thousends schematics for this type of converters. Linear alone has tens of chips for this. You will find a large number of schematics using the 555 timer. They ten to need (too) many exra components. An old one is the MC34063A. You can go from 3V to 5V@300mA. For more current and/or higher voltages you will need an extra power transistor. Details depend on the fan characteristics.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Thanks gentlemen.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

You might even put some temperature sensing on the converter to regulate the fan speed to what the load demands.

Reply to
Tom Miller