2TB upgraded to 32G - Page 3

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G
On Sat, 18 May 2019 22:15:27 -0700 (PDT), Rick C

The price of SSD, M.2, MVMe, etc solid state drives are rapidly
dropping.  It will be a few years before SSD's drop to the price level
of rotating memory.  Right now, a 2TB SATA drive costs about $230:
<https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-qvo-series-2tb/p/N82E16820147739>
or 3.3 times what you paid for the rotating memory.

Price drop for a Samsung EVO 860 250GB seems to have dropped by 40% in
10 months, but then leveled off:
<https://camelcamelcamel.com/Samsung-250GB-Internal-MZ-76E250B-AM/product/B07864WMK8
About the same 40% drop for 1TB:
<https://camelcamelcamel.com/Samsung-Inch-SATA-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B/product/B078DPCY3T
Kinda looks like the release of some new technology and new products
will be needed before the price can drop much more.

Incidentally, if you need a USB 3.1 interface, there are cheap USB to
SATA adapters:
<https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812400693>
I use something similar except it's only 250GB and slower USB 3.0.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G
On Sun, 19 May 2019 06:00:07 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

I'm jealous.  As I write, I'm copying my movie and music archive from
one USB 3.0 2TB hard disk, to a similar drive.  Unfortunately, I
decided to do it using a Chromebook 14 (CB3-431-C5FM), which
conveniently had two USB 3.0 ports.  I'm getting only about 1
GB/minute.  At that rate, the 2TB copy should take 33.3 hrs.  Chrome
OS doesn't give me much in the way of performance diagnostics, so I
can't tell where the bottleneck is located.  Of course, I stupidly
decided to copy the entire drive in one pass, so I can't interrupt the
copy without making a mess.  Argh.

If you're using Windoze, think of using the 1T HD for an image backup
target drive:
<https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
I get about 5GB/min backup speed from a SATA III SSD drive to USB 3.0
and about 8GB/min from SSD to another SATA drive in the same machine.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G

They're probably on the same USB root hub. That doesn't work well.
I get faster writes to my NAS over Gb Ethernet, about 40MB/sec, and much
faster to/from a USB3 SSD.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:51:02 +1000, Clifford Heath

Thanks.  I've seen that and it might have been a likely culprit.  This
time, the problem was me.  I assumed that all my working USB HD drives
were USB 3.0 as indicated by the blue plastic insert in the USB
connector.  That was true for all my working target drives, but I
didn't bother to check my archive source drives, which are older and
generally USB 2.0 drives.  This was my source drive:
<https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-External-STAC2000101/dp/B004S6YH5G>
The current models are all USB 3.0 or ethernet.  When the 2TB copy job
finished (after 30 hrs), I was able to inspect the source drives to
determine the problem.  Sorry for the confusion.

Now to reorganize the tangle of directories, fix some bad transcoding,
purge duplicates, clean up the titles, create thumbnails, add some
cover art, rebuild the Plex library index, etc.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G

You cannot figure out where the bottleneck is?

  Two USB drives.  Same USB hub controller or two seperate ones
inside the chromebook?

  It has to go from the stick to RAM and then to the other stick.

  On a move to a hard drive the write operations are chached and
handled on the drive electronics so uniterrupted streams to the
drive are typical.  On an SSD a huge file streaming to it gets
slowed by machine internals breaking things up into blocks and
because the progress monitoring of a file write is different on an
SSD.

  Remember MFM?  A file write took place and the file writing
utility (MSDOS) or other checks the write integrity with a write op
CRC, etc. afiter the file write.  I know I refer to  mere hardware
interface.  The goal was to use old small and slow to refer to the
method.

  an SDD checks the file write integrity?  not the same.  They go as
they roll.

  With the larger sizes, it seems that reading the entire file to
perform a CRC test is unfeasible.  So the write utilities have
modified the methods of both writing and verifying.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G

  Yes that show up as an ATAPI drive at an extreme hit to data rates.
They claim fast rates, but they show the drive's rate ability and the
interface speed capability, not the actual interface capability

  A USB 3.1 drive enclosure to USB-C with a USB C to A adapter.
Even those can have lame interfaces on them.  There are a few required
chips.  Otherwise it could be an old interface that they simply
attached a USB 3.1 blue connector to and repackaged.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G
@dont-email.me:

chip,
my
for
movie

  Whether it takes 3 seconds or twenty three seconds, it is still
'effortless' either way.

  You also watch pots of water boil?

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G

details.a

 Ouch?  I do not think so, dipshit.

  The key word for you to go look up is CHIP.  Not some lame stacked
thumb drive.

  The truly stupid behavior, however, is where you actually spent
time searching.  Here is a hint...   The form factor is micro sd.

  AGAIN, idiot...  there are no terabyte CHIPs yet.

  I thought it was stupid that you introduce your lame 'accent' to
your Usenet posts 'computah' and such other stupid shit.  Now I am
convinced because no matter how smart you are, your lame personality
shows through.

  Now, you are actually stupid enough to believe that sandisk and
samsung do not know what they are doing.

  Par for the course for someone stupid enough to buy from tiger
direct.  That is a huge tell right there. msrp or higher is
guaranteed.

  And lets not forget that the entire post the lame fuck made was
off topic to start.  Yet you guys want to actually suck up to his
stupidity.

Re: 2TB upgraded to 32G

Correct, it does not necessarily have to be a single chip, it just
has to fit inside a pen drive.   Still it's way out of line with
realistic pricing and if the OP looked at the seller's feedback on
Ebay, it's 92%, which is pretty bad.  Most legitimate vendors have
feedback of 99%+.  This guy has 4 negatives, 39 positive in a year.
And if you read even the positive ones, the vendor is selling
counterfeit game cartridges.  No feedback yet from buyers of the
flash, that's still coming.

Site Timeline