2N7002 - Page 3

Re: 2N7002

Excuse me? As a mere hobbyist it still matters very much to me!!

Re: 2N7002
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:17:22 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Curious.  Why do they matter to you?

Re: 2N7002
:
er

Curistor Doom thinks that he is a "hobbyist", and as such relies on being a
ble to buy small quantities of components from broad-line distributors. He
want his components to be delivered in a finite time (supply chain) and wor
k when he gets them (quality control).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: 2N7002

I've just bought several LTC parts at half the price. Everything
I can check is fine, but they weren't the cheapest offer. An acceptable
source for one-offs.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: 2N7002

0mm
out
ur
,

more like 1 cent

https://lcsc.com/products/MOSFET_381.html

Re: 2N7002

  I used this one in a design a couple years ago.  Not nearly so cheap.
Like $150 each.

  I rendered this one from scratch.

https://i.imgur.com/gIDSfgR.png

Re: 2N7002

I'm not exactly sure which wafer type that is, but when I started my job at
(then) NXP my soon-to-be-retired office mate's job was to transfer the two very
last bipolar HF transistors from 4 to 6 inch wafer size. It's rare to see a box
of those in the fab, and if the 6-to-8-inch conversion were going as planned
they would face an uncertain future. As it is, the 6" line is loaded
like crazy, we even had to invest in new 6" tools while 8" is exploding as
well. Business is skyrocketing, especially since Nexperia was carved out of
NXP and can now invest its own profits into business expansion (rather than
forking much of it over into NXPs high-margin but volatile segments).

That said, I just checked the BFQ. No, it's not one of the types we make (or
ever made) in Hamburg, it is listed as "end of life" on NXP's site, and not
at all on Nexperia's. Sorry about that. The rare 6" types I mentioned above
are listed as "medium frequency transistors" at Nexperia and are still made
at normal volumes.

robert

Re: 2N7002

Any hope of getting them to pick up the NXP JFETs?  It was a blow when
NXP EOLed the BF862.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I used to love that part when I did low-noise stuff at the University.
Curiously I've never been able to figure out where it was made. Not in NXP's
own fabs, that's for sure. It's a shame they're discontinuing it.

robert

Re: 2N7002

Fortunately ON Semi has introduced a number of new ones that are
equivalent or even better, apparently from an old Sanyo process that
nobody knew about.  The CPH3910 is about 1 dB quieter than the BF862,
but has higher I_DSS so it doesn't run as happily at 0V G-S, which is
often a convenient point.  On the other hand its zero-drift point is in
the low noise operating range.

Between the two types I have about 40,000 in stock, so I'm good for awhile.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

 That's one problem with making lifetime buys of
 valuable components.  You stop buying anymore,
 contributing to the declining-sales problem.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: 2N7002

Well, I bought all of them in the last couple of years, so I plead not
guilty. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

  Or he could make a mini-fortune selling small pacels of them on ebay.

Re: 2N7002

you could use the same as an argument for subscription based software

Re: 2N7002
On 12 Feb 2018 14:25:14 -0800, Winfield Hill

They also tend to age.  It's probably not all that important for
small/specialty users/applications but it's not a good thing for
volume production.  Even I will throw reels away after a few years.

Re: 2N7002

what problems does that cause?

NT

Re: 2N7002

https://www.venkel.com/media/wysiwyg/technical/docs/storage-and-shelf-life-for-smt-components.pdf

Re: 2N7002

thank you, glad to see it's nothing more serious

NT

Re: 2N7002

Solder-proof leads.  Water is often a problem, too, but can be dealt
with for longer than a couple of years.

Re: 2N7002

The max. threshold voltage is somewhat high, 2.5V.
BTW, the problem is to find small transistors with *high* C_GS.
I needed one for a fast, passive gate turn-off circuit. It took
~2 hours to find AO3407, which has all the desired properties.

    Best regards, Piotr

Site Timeline