Subject Author Posted Replies

IcePower module
Hi to all my fans, just completed repairs on one of these: Found it fitted inside a mini-size bass instrument amplifier, which the own er had just purchased over the net and failed on him at first...
35
35

Dirty sine wave generator
Is there a way to extrapolate this D flip flop-based/XOR modified sine-wave generator to be a little less "steppy" using a couple more flops or XOR gates? or provide outputs of different phases? I was...
52
52

Noise figure and Volts/rtHz
This Jfet lists noise figure as 2.1 dB, how do I turn that into v/rtHz ? Is the reference a 50 ohm resistor? So 3dB would be twice the voltage noise density of a 50 ohm resistor? Thx, George H.
5
5

OT: 1.8GW solar park nears completion
Located in Egypt's "Western Desert", west of the Nile, but in the eastern Sahara. 1.8GW is a lot, amounting to 5% of Egypt's capacity, but they're also finishing three 4.8GW gas-fired combined-cycle...
41
41

MRI imaging inside Lithium ion batteries
The is from this week's Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences Apparently the researchers have worked out how to get good quality MR images from inside regular cells. You need to pay for...

MIT
MIT is habitually involved in some scummy scandal or other like I thought these people were supposed to be smart. "I don't want to see the Media Lab crumble due to Epstein's dirty money" why not? They...
8
8

Re: OT: Why is Germany so (apparently) stupid to give up nuclear power?
At the time, the world, Germany included, was well underway to re-embrace nuclear power, to reduce CO2 emission and all that. And then Fukushima happened. Jeroen Belleman
155
155

Driven switch body. (what about greater than one bootstrap)
So I copper clad proto-ed the grayhill rotary switch into my PD thing. I can post pics.. at 1 MHz an inch of bus wire is not a big deal. Anyway with the switch body grounded the step response/ BW went...
25
25

MTA-100 connectors
I've become a big fan of MTA-100 mass- termination connectors (as Tyco TE Connectivty calls them), used for off-board wiring. Here's a link to the PCB-mount headers at Digi-Key. The male-pin headers...
23
23

Maximum rep rate for a standard microswitch.
I wanted to make a turns counter for my drill press. I have it set for 330 RPMs or about 6 cycles per second. It doesn't work. Unreliable counting. My high point is (switch closure time) about 1/12 of...
82
82

electrospinning +15kV and -4kV = 19kV
Electrospinning is an interesting technique for making nanofibers. We used +15kV on the needle of a motorized syringe pump and -4kV on a collection mat = 19kV total. The electric field pulls off a...
92
92

Explain rattlesnake egg magnet action
When two flat magnets clap together, it is usually a very singular collision event. When two round or egg shaped magnets collide together, they bounce several times before resting mated. I suspect it...
10
10

Why is Larkin such an intolerant pig ?
---------------------------------------- " Silly cackling old hen. Man up and design something." ** Larkin is such a narcissistic prick he cannot tolerate anyone who is not exactly the same as him....
20
20

Phase Noise vs. Jitter
Gentlemen, I thought these terms were effectively the same thing, but now I'm not so sure. Taking a square waveform of uniform amplitude for the sake of simplicity, AFAIAA, if I'm looking at such a...
45
45

Lock-in demodulation of inductive component
With respect to this quadrature demodulation inductance measurement circuit we've discussed before, could you please remind me of the phasing relationships? I'm having difficulty visualizing how the...
14
14