240V AC power switch - based on current drawn from outlet

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few hints / pointers on building blocks in the following design / idea:

I have a few powertools that generate dust; circular saw, sanding machine, etc. And, I have a dust extractor / vacuum cleaner. My idea was that instead of hearing the constant buzz from the dust extractor, it could turn on and off depending on the state of the power tools; eg. the current drawn through the outlet they're connected too. A nice feature (but I guess would at require microcontroller for sure) would be to make the power used by the vacuum cleaner variable based upon how much current is drawn from the outlet.

My first step would be to create something that turns on/off when the current passes a defined threshold (on if it's above, and off it's below).

In advance, thanks!

--
Thomas
Reply to

I use one of these on my SCMS and shop vac:

px

I douldn't want my dust collector cycling that often so use a remote control for it:

keithw86

Your second part is not practical with a typical single-phase induction motor. If your dust collector is three-phase unit, it's possible, though it may not be desirable - slowing a dust collector down can result in dust dropping out in the lines - the system should be designed to maintain a particular velocity inthe collection liones, and slowing it down will mess with that.

The second part is available off the shelf as a commercial product. An easier (and cheaper) solution is to put switches on the blast gates (you do have blast gates, one hopes) and connect them to a relay that turns on the dust collector.

Ecnerwal

I have designed one that consisted on a toroid with 2 windings. The first with only a few turns that was in series with my TV power and a secondary that would operate a relai that would switch on the lights when the TV was ON. With the latest large TV types we don't need it because the TV illuminates the room.

John Taylor

Reply to
John Taylor

--
A little late with your response?

10 Oct 2011 - 15 Feb 2010 = 1 year, 7 months, and 25 days. ;)
Reply to
John Fields

Conclusion: My server has good retention

John

Reply to
John Taylor

Then maybe you can find the schematic/pictures/write up I posted in late 2006 showing how to hack a GFCI to make a load sensing switch like the op wanted.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

How good? Giganews goes back to 2003.