24 bit audio over USB

Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit. Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Why USB ..?

Reply to
pbdelete

Because it's available on almost every PC these days. If I was looking at multichannel obviously firewire would make sense.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

A general purpose ASIO driver does exist.

Reply to
Robert Morein

Have you been abducted as well?

"Hi there"

Bollocks more like.

No you don't..... you design power supplies without inductors but you might be snouting about for some new development that says you can do RAVE(?) over USB.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

There's no shortage of affordable boxes that do this. Do you need to re-invent it? I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in it.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

If one followed that line of thought I wouldn't design anything would I ? Besides, no-one's done what I'm planing to offer. The USB interface is actually very much an add-on extra to something else.

That's not really the way I normally do things. Beside, I don't want to necessarily use what was possibly state of the art when they were designed maybe several years back when better may be available.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Look at Ogg Vorbis. If it doesn't handle what you want now, I understand that its modular and easily extensible.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Life is like a buffet. Its not very good but there's plenty of it.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Don't want to use a compressed format. It would compromise the rest of the product.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Besides,

Have a word with FTDI

they might be able to pint you somewhere suitable

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hey, I care.....

You spend most of your time being really pally around here and some of it taking the piss out of us dumb people...... and designing power supplies without inductors in them.

Then you come along with....

'Hi'

Like some nube would.. as if you would pretend to be one?

And ask for advice.

This does not work so I thought you might have been abducted.

Note to abductors... This one isn't worth frying so it will cost you more to keep it alive than it's worth paying for it.

Thanks

DNA

Reply to
Genome

multichannel

Not really. USB 2.0 spec is 480Mbps, vs. 400 for standard firewire. Either should have plenty of bandwidth for a ton of audio channels (we used to run uncompressed component video - three video streams - to firewire drives on video-capture stations, so a couple dozen audio streams should be no problem).

"Bitness" of a Windows USB driver has no relation to how many bits you're sampling audio at anyway. My "old" USB-interface Soundblaster Extigy supports up to 96kbit sample rates at 32-bit sample depths, and it works fine on a USB 1.1 connection (96k/32-bit stereo audio is only a little over 6 megabits per second, well within USB 1.1's 12Mbit bandwidth).

Reply to
Matt Ion

Peppermint Schnapps hangover, I'm guessing...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Genome spake thus:

Hey, where do you think "experts" go for help? Sometimes experts need advice from even bigger experts.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I agree. There actually is something out there, but I'm not inclined to help Graham find it.

Reply to
Robert Morein

Yes, but you quote things and I have a bandwidth problem.

Reply to
Genome

You're really a small man, aren't you Morein?

Tiny.

Tiny, tiny, tiny.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

One means for doing this is the network device model. There are a number of devices that implement a peer network between two computers over a USB interface. You can move just about any kind of data there is over a peer network.

Shift gears to Firewire, and Windows has the required driver built in.

There are a goodly number of 24 bit audio devices that run on USB. AFAIK they all have to provide their own driver.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Then don't. Or use lossles compression. The protocols are extensible.

Yeah, but you\'re taking the universe out of context.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.