24 bit audio over USB

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Graham

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Why USB ..?

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

snipped-for-privacy@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid wrote:

Because it's available on almost every PC these days. If I was looking at
multichannel
obviously firewire would make sense.

Graham

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

multichannel

Not really.  USB 2.0 spec is 480Mbps, vs. 400 for standard firewire.
Either should have plenty of bandwidth for a ton of audio channels (we
used to run uncompressed component video - three video streams - to
firewire drives on video-capture stations, so a couple dozen audio
streams should be no problem).

"Bitness" of a Windows USB driver has no relation to how many bits
you're sampling audio at anyway.  My "old" USB-interface Soundblaster
Extigy supports up to 96kbit sample rates at 32-bit sample depths, and
it works fine on a USB 1.1 connection (96k/32-bit stereo audio is only a
little over 6 megabits per second, well within USB 1.1's 12Mbit bandwidth).

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

A general purpose ASIO driver does exist.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Have you been abducted as well?

"Hi there"

Bollocks more like.

No you don't..... you design power supplies without inductors but you might
be snouting about for some new development that says you can do RAVE(?) over
USB.

DNA

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Graham

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Hey, I care.....

You spend most of your time being really pally around here and some of it
taking the piss out of us dumb people...... and designing power supplies
without inductors in them.

Then you come along with....

'Hi'

Like some nube would.. as if you would pretend to be one?

And ask for advice.

This does not work so I thought you might have been abducted.

Note to abductors... This one isn't worth frying so it will cost you more to
keep it alive than it's worth paying for it.

Thanks

DNA

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Genome spake thus:

Hey, where do you think "experts" go for help? Sometimes experts need
advice from even bigger experts.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

Yes, but you quote things and I have a bandwidth problem.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Genome spake thus:

Still using that 2400 baud modem, are you?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Making people wade through twenty pages of irrelevent material just
to get to your two clever lines is obnoxious.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

I agree. There actually is something out there, but I'm not inclined to help
Graham find it.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

You're really a small man, aren't you Morein?

Tiny.

Tiny, tiny, tiny.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Peppermint Schnapps hangover, I'm guessing...

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

Heh... chick drink :-)

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:05:01 +0100, Pooh Bear

There's no shortage of affordable boxes that do this.  Do you need to
re-invent it?  I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in
it.

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

If one followed that line of thought I wouldn't design anything would I ?
Besides,
no-one's done what I'm planing to offer. The USB interface is actually very much
an add-on extra to something else.

That's not really the way I normally do things. Beside, I don't want to
necessarily use what was possibly state of the art when they were designed maybe
several years back when better may be available.

Graham

Re: 24 bit audio over USB

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:20:35 +0100, in sci.electronics.design Pooh

Besides,
Have a word with FTDI http://www.ftdichip.com/ they might be able to
pint you somewhere suitable

martin