Subject Author Posted Replies

solar panel output degradation?
I'm often asked about degradation of the solar panels on our roof. Some people say they expect 5% per year. Here's a four year record, with 1450 day-data points. Watching my panels over the last 4...
199
199

lead free solder...
I have some friends that do some serious restoration work on old high end radio stuff like Collins and Hammarlund. A couple of them have asked me if I thought they should stock up on the old Sn/Pb...
49
49

OT: Greatest Invention Ever
That is a tough question. I would have trouble choosing between the Internet and the printing press. I think I lean toward the printing press, but maybe only because enough time hasn't gone by to...
42
42

unresponsive script
I am getting a little tired of seeing this damn message. Any fixes? Thanks.
8
8

Apollo Unified S-Band communications
I mentioned this inside another thread, but didn't get any response. I hope some of you might enjoy (and perhaps comment on) my talk on the communications system that put men on the moon. I covered...
38
38

beastly physics
How much power can one horse generate?
20
20

SAV541 data for Win
OK, blew one up. Gate grounded, power supply through 1K to drain. V I 2.5 0.3 uA 5 0.7 6 1.3 7 2 10 20 11 62 12 608 12.6 died I plan to use them around 5.5 or 6, so it looks OK. Must have blown the...
4
4

Best 1MHz 1pF active probe for a plain old Tek 400MHz scope?
I see a load of Tek P6243 and similar probes but they all have a special BNC plug, fairly obviously to get power and config etc. What is a good active probe which is self powered?
37
37

benchtop CO2 laser
We make a lot of electro-optical things that are packaged in little extruded boxes. We do the artwork for, and order, polycarb stickers to go on the top of the box. That works but has some overhead....
57
57

MOSFET: why is it called Miller plateau?
Hi, many papers explain the MOSFET's gate-source charging curve, especially the plateau part of it, by the Miller effect. Sometime this is even briefly called "the Miller plateau". But why? To my...
27
27

FFC connectors in a T&M instrument, good or bad idea?
I'd like to get people's opinion/experience on FFC connectors and cables us e in Test & Measurement instruments (so the small size of FFC connectors is not really an advantage). Is it a good idea vs...
11
11

STM 32F4xx - a general Q on I/O pins and AF config
There is a lot of this on various forums but few clear answers. Let's say you set up PA9 to be an output. Then you set AF10 for that pin (alternate function 10 - USB FS). In this mode that pin is used...
4
4

900 tanks of (electrons)
Our home's solar roof has made about 45 MWh of electrons, which we pushed into the grid (and pulled back out). For electric vehicles with 50 MWh batteries, that's 900 tanks, or 900 fillups, from our...
52
52

Analog XOR gate
Is there a useful mathematical way to describe the "gain" of an XOR gate on analog inputs from a large-signal perspective, on periodic signals? Two periodic signals of some fundamental frequency and...
18
18

OT not pro gun, but very smart about how laws are an invasion
80
80