200mW lasers for two bucks?

Car tail light "collision warning" lasers. Line-generators, but also floating logos following you down the road. Almost a quarter-watt output?! Gotta be a scam.

Many are two bucks, free shipping all over eBay. Remove the cylinder lens, set aggressive tailgaters ON FIAAR!!!!! Or keep the lens in, but buy twenty of the things.

Also search: 50mw thick beam, for lots of tiny stage lighting laser modules.

Kids these days. In my day we only got to play with expensive 7mW HeNe lasers from Metrologic, with eye-danger warning stickers plastered all over them.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Link? maybe 200 mW is the input power? George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Many of the Chinese consumer claims of laser power are as silly as their claims of Li battery capacity.

Here's a '60W' green laser pointer that runs from a single lithium cell:

Maybe it's 100mW or something.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:34:56 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

200mW is the typical power of the laser diodes in a DVD writer.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Only 60 watts? How about a 100 watt green laser?: Oh wait, I just found 200 watts: Or perhaps 500 watts in blue? For more amazing claims, search for "burning laser".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It varies from 100mw to 400mw with the type of DVD writer:

I still have a small collection of 16x Philips DVD burners that I pulled out of service because they were routinely overheating. Some day, I'll do something disgusting with the lasers. Maybe a death ray or drone destroyer.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 21:05:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

You could burn a "Welcome Aboard" tattoo onto your dick.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Hi,

This reminds me of one of the things I have on my "still-to-do" list: free-space optics (light-based communication over the air, not in fibres).

However, they seam to prefer high-power LEDs over lasers.

(anycase, sending laserbeams in the free space requires a special permit plus is the best way to get my in problems with my friends in local astronomy-club :-) ).

Does anybody here have any expierence with this?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Reply to
kristoff

Sure. I did a couple of tactical optical links for the Navy a few years ago .

The reasons for favouring LEDs over lasers are regulations and speckle.

LEDs are regulated like light bulbs, whereas the exposure limits on lasers are pretty strict, so it's difficult to do optical communication in sunligh t with any reasonable bandwidth if you want to stay eye-safe. I put togethe r a Mathcad document for the Class 1 limits as a function of wavelength, pu lse width, and rep rate. It's not a simple document.

If you're going far in the atmosphere, your beam will twinkle like starligh t. With a laser, your beam breaks up into a speckle pattern, leading to dro pouts and very deep fading.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 13:12:06 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

You won't be getting that third star...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

These things below, license plate lasers. 12V 40mA, about $2-$3.

The output's impressively bright. I'd believe ten or twenty mW, not 200. (So buy ten?) Some have an HOE which gives crosses or pentagrams pattern. Fairly dim when spread so much. The brightest display is the line generator, cylinder lens array.

The plastic front easily pops off to expose the diode housing & lens, screw-adjust focus. The cable lump contains a tiny buck regulator: inductor and a sot23-5 with marking code XR15

WELL WORTH TWO BUCKS!!!!

I might even go as high as tree fiddy.

I bought several, and one immediately died. The laser's OK, but the regulator now shuts down after half a second.

I vaguely recall seeing a bike light with bunch of these lasers, creating a red glowing box surrounding the rider. Not visible in daylight, of course.

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer beaty a chem washington edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 billb a eskimo com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph3-6195

Bill Beaty

Did you see the hundred-meter heartbeat-detector article awhile back? Crude speckle interferometry from a laser spot on distant clothing. Then they found they could pick up sound from the target's vibrating shirt; not just chest motions.

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer beaty a chem washington edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 billb a eskimo com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph3-6195

Bill Beaty

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo