2 computer Control with 1 mouse and 1 keyboard

After seeing this, I'm now more inclined to buy another computer..

Video

Software is free! Oooooo the mouse crosses two computers... :)

btw..I wonder who makes that keyboard. The aquarium app was neat..

The alternatives are a KVM switch or VNC app..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I use Synergy. Set up the computer which has the kb&mouse as server, others as clients, and your mouse moves across from one screen to the other. Works seamlessly on Mac, Windows and *nix, and it's free.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That was the program used in the video. Link was posted.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I made my own KV switch so long ago there wasn't yet mice, and I did it all in TTL, since the monitor was driven with TTL also ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question
 unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their
 behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut-
 cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

Neato.. These days, I'd just buy one at the store. This KVM sells over here for about $50.00.

2 port.

But I don't want to press a keyboard button to switch keyboard+mouse control to the other computer.. And,in my case, each computer has a monitor so I don't need the video switch. I'll probably try the Synergy app

to allow the mouse to cross monitors connected to different computers.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Hyperbole?

What was the first TTL you got your hands on?

:[sig] :An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question :unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their :behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut- :cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

I've always thought of Conservatives as being of the mindset

*The status quo is good enough*. Not my idea of a forward-looking technologist. ...and these days, the religious nut-cases seem to be clustered on the Right side of the aisle.

A Progressive, OTOH, is always saying

*How can I make this work better?*. Hardly a closed-mind meme.
Reply to
JeffM

I use a KVM because my PSpice machine uses both monitors.

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

No, it's good enough until something better is proven. Why change what works, simply because we can? Why change what works to what doesn't?

Weenies have no ideas. That would take thought.

Wrong. Think "AGW".

No, it's more like "I know how to run *your* life better than you do, so I'll force you do do what *I* think you "should" do. ...and BTW, force you to think what you should think. Not very "liberal".

Reply to
krw

JeffM, Please list your contributions to engineering excellence.

JeffM, Being a googlegrouper and not white-listed, has no idea how old I am. My engineering beginnings predate TTL. The project I built the switch for was one of those "wonderful green screen wonders", DOS-based, text only :-(

...Jim Thompson

 An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question
 unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their
 behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut-
 cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

Why not just get one computer that's twice as powerful, and put two monitors on it? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Problem with both of them is, they think government is the answer, which is the opposite of the truth. And our favorite neonazi seems to want to murder everybody who doesn't fit into his personal cookie-cutter.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

"Brass Rat 1962" makes you ~67 now. ...and you've stated your age several times that I've seen.

*You* were the one that mentioned TTL and said that mouses were not concurrant.

:-( indeed. Graphics that used a mouse were available under early DOS versions.

My first portable had CGA that had an HGC emulation mode and a mouse attached via serial port.

Reply to
JeffM

I still want my old computer running to squeeze the last bit of life out of it until it's so obsolete that 10 year old kids laugh at it.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Maxivista

does all that I(I think) and if I remember correctly was easier to set up. May not work with MAC and allows you to use both screens on the primary computer with just a press of the Scroll lock key. There is no special keyboard, the KB works wherever the mouse is pointing.

John G

Reply to
John G.

This is a bit late, but for your info. With a little hardware you can do it like this.

Using one keyboard with two pcs is easy. Expecially if you want your typings go to both at same time. Pc -keyboard connection is a bidirectional open collector bus. There is ground, +5volts, data and clock. Data and clock are birectional like I said, but you need only one direction. From keyb to pc. There is not much data coming from pc to the kb. I have used a one keyboard and one pc these way, and there was no difference.

You need 2 noninverting open collector buffers for both data and clock. Voltages are 5V. Inputs go together and to the keyboard and output one to each pc. Since data and clock are similar you don't need to know which is which. But don't mix them. This is simple but hard to explain in writing.

Mouse is not much harder. But I have not tried it. You have rs232 control signals powering mouse electronics and one serial output for data.

Reply to
LM

maybe..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

not for the last 5 years or more, these days mice are TTL like the keyboard, or USB.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Well yes. My newest keyboard is usb, so it not so easy with keyboards either. But then, there is an adapter for connecting usb keyboard to ps2 connector. And about mice, isn't there an adapter for them too. I think I have seen such. Things were simpler 10-15 years ago when I last designed something with pc keyboard connection.

BTW. I stll need old fashion keyboards. Bios here does not recognize usb keyboards, and I had wash my old one to get into bios settings. Coca Cola is truly harmfull to keyboards.

Reply to
LM

harmful

Actually, it's not. All it does is gum them up. First, let it dry. Blow all of the dust out from under the keys with compressed air, preferably dry/no oil.

Then, either run it under hot water for awhile, moving it around to get different angles and stuff, and if you want to, use a scrub brush on the keytops; or stick it in the dishwasher. then when the rinse water comes out clear or when the dishwasher finishes, but before it goes to the dry cycle (which just bakes waterspots into place), blow it dry with dry oil-free compressed air. Blow thoroughly, from different angles, until you can't blow out any more droplets. Then, hang it by the cable for a couple of days, and it should be good as new. ;-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'd add a couple of suggestions:

- If you use detergent in the dishwasher for this process, use one which has surfactants and a water-softener, but *not* added chlorine. Bob Pease swears by Calgonite (which has no chlorine bleach). The Kirkland brand sold by Costco should also be OK. I wouldn't use Cascade, which does have chlorine.

- After the rinse cycle is over, take out the keyboard, and do a final rinse by hand, using demineralized or deionized or distilled water... this will wash away any residual minerals in your tap-water. Then, shake out as much water as you can, blow-dry as Rich suggests, and air-dry.

Dave Platt