1U 130W new power supplies for $3.95 from MPJA

I was looking for some cheap, slim, power supplies, with no vents on the top or bottom, for some embedded development platforms (previously Arduino, now Raspberry Pi and Beagle Board).

I bought five of these back when the price was a ridiculously high $5.95. I went back to buy some more and I saw that the price has fallen to $3.95. The shipping is no bargain though.

+5V 15A +3.3V 10A 75 watt max combined on +5V and +3.3V

+12V 6A

-12V 0.4A

+5V Standby (when supply is turned off but plugged in) 0.25A

130 watts maximum total power so you can't have every output at maximum current simultaneously.

. Power cord not included.

I opened one up, to complete the partial specification that MPJA has on their site, and they look to be very well made.

I measured the voltages and they have very tight regulation (+/-1% when you use the sense lines). No -5V, but if you really need it an LM7905 from the -12 would get you some -5V. The proprietary connectors are useless of course, but you'll just cut them off anyway. There is no good pin-out sheet on the MPJA site, but I figured out all the connections and posted it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Disclaimer (in case our favorite troll is still around): I am not selling anything. I receive no compensation from MPJA. I have no connection with MPJA other than placing two orders from them in the past.

sms

The Arm boards I've used are just 5V. I use a 3A regulated switchmode wall wart. Wouldn't something like a Meanwell or Volgen make more sense if you wanted to go "upscale?" Granted not $4.

I see those Sun power supplies at Excess Solutions if you are in the bay area. Not $4 though. More like $15. I'm leery to use them since computer supplies often have minimum loads.

The website only shows items they have in quantity. I usually get items where they only have two or three. Usually better stuff than what they have on the website.

The Volgens, when you can find them, are generally new old stock made in Japan. Meanwells are Taiwan or China. Volgen NOS is common on Ebay too.

Reply to
miso

The issue is that I always need to power other stuff besides the embedded board. I almost always need some +12V and some 3.3V.

These do not have minimum loads.

I haven't been to Excess Solutions and I am in the Bay Area. I'll have to check it out. I go to Halted quite often but the store always looks like a tornado or earthquake just hit the inside.

Reply to
sms