1MHz Voltage Controlled Oscillator

I need a design for 1MHz to 2MHz Voltage controlled oscillator for square wave which uses op-amp. Any help is appreciated...thank you

Reply to
ravi2neha

Just buy an MC4024... 3.5:1 tuning range

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Have a look at

at page 9 fig 27 for the basic idea. The circuit is described as as a triangular wave generator, but in fact the left-hand amplifier is producing a square wave.

The LM101 won't do 1MHz to 2MHz, but nowadays you can buy faster parts.

The LM101 won't produce a well-defined square waveat the output of the left-hand amplifier, but an amplifier delivering a rail-to-rail output swing would do better. The

comes to mind, but it isn't fast enough for a 1-2MHz oscillator either.

There are a couple of ways of making the circuit into a voltage controlled oscillator, but since this appears to be a homework excercise, I won't go into them yet.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Melbourne at the moment)
Reply to

square wave suggests using a comparator rather than op amp, at least for the output, a 'relaxation oscillator' is probably the best way to go, wich is just an inverting schmit trigger with negative feedback.

the control voltage can adjust the current in the negative feedback via a voltage dependant resistor such as a fet or current source + current mirror + steering diodes.

its possible to do it with a ne555 timer.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

If you want a linear control curve, beware the delay through the comparator, 555, or whatever you use.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Theres a technique to use an inductor in series with the feedback capacitor to make the cycle end earlier at higher frequency and so compensate for the comparator delay.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

capacitor

the

actualy make that a resistor not an inductor lol.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Nope, not an inductor, a resistor, such that tau = R*C = tdelay, and you charge and discharge the capacitor with currents... it's NOT the "feedback capacitor".

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

capacitor

the

I think i just beat you to it with the correction at least on my news server lol, with a 555 type its not what you would think of as negative feedback but with a relaxation type using an inverting schmitt trigger the capacitor is in the lower half of the neg feedback RC divider, and the extra resistor would be in series with the capacitor but still in the lower leg. of course the upper leg would be variable resistance or preferably variable current.

using the op amp integrator type, the resistor would be in the output of the op amp, the triangle is still taken from the capacitor if thats what you want, but the comparator is fed from the op amp output directly.

A picture is worth a thousand words, however I got this nugget of info from a post in here quite some time back wich went into more detail with a nice schematic.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

It was probably my post. I discovered that trick at least 30 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Here's a post from 2004 where I mention that the technique was discussed in a previous post of mine (which I still can't locate)...

[snip]

I discussed this technique here several years ago. It not only fixes the delay overshoot problem but also linearizes the control curve when used for a VCO.

...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Wasn't that designed by some old curmudgeon?

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[snip add-resistor-to-555-timing-cap trick]

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yep. That's the thread! Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yep. A REALLY OLD curmudgeon. MRI next week to look at why I've developed leg pain in my left leg only... sufficient pain to make me limp :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ah yes I remember it well, but sheesh was it realy 2002 ? shame the drawings get screwed when viewed via google, I wonder if theres an unscrew it up button somewhere.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

ah found it right at the top, I wonder what happened to Win's fig tree he had to bury ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

My pleasure.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I'll pray for you, my freind. I have swelling and pain in both legs too, but you're the one who claims to be older than dirt. ;-)

PS, don't tell them how many parts of the MRI machine you designed. They don't like it when the patient knows how their toys work. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep, I enjoy tweaking them. Particularly the ultrasound stuff... NO BRAND out there I didn't have a hand in the analog front-ends ;-)