1kV 2A DC thermal cutout switch

I need a thermal cutout switch, about 50'C, to carry and cut 2A DC at

1kV max. Not a design, off the shelf.

Any pointers?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I've never seen a bi-metal switch rated that high (DC ). Maybe a Kilovac switch driven by a Thermik PTC?

Martin Riddle

Yep, an easy task for a MOSFET and a few other parts.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

A high-side HV P-Channel with conventional thermal disc pulling the gate low through some R would be easy (though I'm not sure if P-Channels go that high). Or something like that.

But it's a safety issue, I just want to buy something certified and not have to worry.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Knowing how they work I can't imagine you'd find one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Vacuum relay, perhaps?

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for that, you're probably right.

But that's why I asked here - if the answer were in the Farnell catalogue I probably would have found it. It's outwith my experience, but for all I know, there are some fields of expertise where these things are routine. I've already learned some things thanks to other respondents.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

One most certainly wants to go with a solid state solution, as HV relays (the little PCB or inline mountable jobs) do not last long at those current levels. Even at low currents we always suggested that switching take place on non-energized circuitry.

We had one customer that wanted an HV supply the used relays to invert polarity (no joke) instead of simply having us make a dual supply for them. We specifically told them (and disclaimed on it) that the unit MUST be switched ONLY when NOT energized.

Reply to
DLUNU

Clive Arthur wrote in news:pseqpb$cck$1@dont- email.me:

gate

not

They are out there, but good luck attaining a high use/cycle count before a failure mode *happens*... and one will.

Reply to
DLUNU

whit3rd wrote in news:d0bced4f-0725-4d94-8b82- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

They do not last very long switched live.

Reply to
DLUNU

You would need contact arc suppression for a relay solution, big and expensive, but why can't you switch the low voltage side of the hv generator ?. I wouldn't trust any solid state solution at that voltage and energy level...

If it's a safety issue, you might need a thyristor crowbar or similar and dump resistor to lose the stored energy fast as well...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It has to be n-channel. Likely with isolated gate drive, analogous to unipolar version of AoE III, Figure 3.107.A

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

At 1KV/2A, safety will involve physical interlocks that have nothing to do with local electronic limiters. This is thermal protection - you're better off inhibiting the source of this output, rather than trying to interrupt the output itself. Thermal sensors need have no direct electrical contact with the hazardous voltage.

RL

Reply to
legg