150k people pay 50% of California's individual tax.

Of the 40 Million residents of California, 150k people pay 50% of the individual taxes. I bet they have enough money to move. No problem though, Califoria can just raise taxes!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

But they didn't move to California for it's low taxes, and they probably wouldn't be able to make as much money in a cheaper state.

So California probably could just raise it's taxes. The Laffer Curve may be real, but every situation seems to have a differently shaped Laffer Curve.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

For decades I have been telling people that I would be extremely

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If it would make you happy to pay more in taxes, I'm sure the government will be happy to take the money. :^)

George H.

ndividual

Reply to
George Herold

I think it more a case of being happy to have an income that would result i n such a high tax ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I got extremely annoyed when I (and many others) were "given" a capital gains tax liability without having made a capital gain[1]

Nevertheless, my point about /income/ tax stands.

[1] many tax inspectors thought that was impossible; it wasn't :(
Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's nice, but wouldn't you be happier with the same income and

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

government pay you because you are rich?

That is why we have elections.

Taxation with representation.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Good question.

I've occasionally reflected on that over the decades, and the answer remains "probably not". That, in essence, is the reason that I've never bothered to try to have

For me money is a hygiene factor; the things that make me happy/unhappy have little to do with money. I have enough money for my needs, why would I want more?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oscilloscopes, silly. ;)

Cheers

Phil "12 and counting" Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Shutup. That's /not/ funny.

Tom "~12 if you include the TDRs" Gardner

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Now that's just silly, of course we need to fund the government. But at what rate, we didn't even have a permanent income tax until just over 100 years ago, 1913. I was 1%. Now it's 10% to 32% plus state taxes, and property taxes. FICA taxes went from 2.25% in 1951 to 15.2% in 2017. You can't do anything with paying a government fee. (tax) You want a phone, there;s a tax, you want cable TV, there's a tax, you want a house, pay a tax every year, you want a new roof on that house pay a fee, want a cup of coffee, there's a tax, take a plane trip, there's a tax, have electricity, there's a tax, drive a car, there's a tax, buy gasoline, there's a tax. And first you need to pay your Fed and State taxes then with what's left you get to pay all the other taxes. How much do you think the government should take from the 53% of workers that actually pay taxes?

Fed, state, and local taxes were under 4% of GDP until 1940, now it runs well over 15% of GDP.

Again, just silly on your part, why should the government give money to a hard working family that lived under their means for 30 years. As you say, they're rich!

I'd rather see "Representation with Taxation" Why should those that don't contribute to the pie tell those that do give up their hard earned dollars, where and how it should be spent, and on whom? Be aware about 47% of workers pay no income taxes, and many of those actually get money back they never paid in. Have a taxing day! :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There are many people who would like a situation like that, unfortunately if the ones with the power to make it happen got their way you wouldn't have a say in how their money was spent, either.

To a billionaire you're just one more poor, materially no different than a homeless person.

Reply to
bitrex

They can do double-duty as marine securing-weights in case of emergency...

Reply to
bitrex

Depends on what you mean by needs. Will your SS check be enough for your needs? If not, you need some savings to supplement it. Are your healthcare costs covered? If not, you need some savings to supplement it. Could you live to 100 years old, do you have enough money for your needs to 100. I'm with you in that I have enough money, I have not spent all the money I have earned, but I will want income more than SS will give me, and I'll need some for the years before I collect SS. So, where not big spenders, but I certainly want enough, and savings helps provide that. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Do broken ones count? Still I'm no where near 12.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

tirsdag den 22. maj 2018 kl. 20.22.43 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

you are not alone :)

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It is nice to have enough that you can do things for others.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's worse than that.

Phil "Haggling over another TDS 694C" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Those denizens are, of course, absolutely no help whatsoever at amelioriating an addiction. OTOH, they are excellent at feeding an addiction.

Reply to
Tom Gardner