12V d.c. reg that will do 10A?

Can anyone hook me up with a circuit that will let me dim a 100W lamp on a car battery? I'm thinking it would be a sq wave oscillator driving a bank of several power transistors to chop the voltage. I could cook that up myself but I'm not sure how to parallel the transistors without them messing with each other - perhaps via diodes? 2n3055's driven by an LM555 maybe? A straight linear reg would get too hot when the lamps are dimmed. I wonder whether there are lamp life issues with chopping the waveform, and what frequency would be best...

thanks in advance.

Reply to
richard

"richard"

** Got two broken hands - have you ?

Never heard of Google ??

** The very first hit on Google for " 555 lamp dimmer " brings up:

Bloody amazing.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison