<10W booster amp for RF susceptibility?

At clients I usually rent an ENI amplifier for that but they are really bulky, heavy and overkill. And expensive. When testing a bus for susceptibility one rarely needs more than 30Vpp into 100 ohms or so, up to 500MHz. The other amps I've got are the usual wideband amps that cannot produce more than about +20dBm.

Is there a booster amp that's smaller, like 10W or less?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have you considered a HAM radio? Some can be modded for a wider set of frequencies. E.g.:

Or do you need a bare amp and full coverage?

Joop

Reply to
Joop

I have but it'll be restricted to something like 2-50MHz or some extended VHF/UHF ranges.

Yes :-(

ENI has some smaller amps so we'll be stuck with those I guess. Still huge and expensive. Similar for the other RF amp manufacturers. If the market wasn't so small I'd design, build and sell some.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Clearly revealing the differences between building one for personal use, commercial use, and for sale.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have designed RF power stages for gear that is now in production. But the clients own the rights plus they are all too big for this purpose. Mine certainly do not cost the equivalent of a small car, like many of the susceptibility amps do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg,

really=20

up=20

Have you considered Mini-Circuits? See:

How about the LZY-1? =20

--=20 Regards, Howard snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com

Reply to
Howard Swain

Yes, I had looked at this and others. The LZY-1 won't go below 20MHz :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Cool, you have track record. Next time don't bork the IP deal.

Reply to
JosephKK

That's the usual compromise in consulting agreements. They get the IP and in return they indemnify me.

I do retain certain rights in non-compete situations though. But as I mentioned the amps are way too big anyhow and building one from scratch takes too much time. iI am just surprised that there is nothing out there. Maybe too small a market.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Could well be. EMC testing is a fairly mature market. Equipment manufacture for serious EMC testing is a rather small market. Perhaps positioning as pre-test evaluation equipment will have sufficient market to be worthwhile. You may have to create a group of equipment though while keeping careful lines to manage marketability.

Reply to
JosephKK

I made up a wideband linear amplifier a couple of decades ago that put out about 5 watts at 30 dB gain from 20-500 MHz. flat. It was built around a Mini-Ckts module, and if you think that may be what you are looking for, I'll tear it apart to see what the module part number is. If you need to go lower than 20, I'm not sure what the current options are, but a second LF unit wouldn't be all that hard to incorporate into the same chassis.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Yes, that's feasible with Mini-Circuits modules. But it won't go below

20Mhz :-(
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

So what bottom end do you need? You didn't specify in the OP.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Sorry. Ideally 150kHz but up to a MHz would do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That sounds like an HF homebrew job. Helge Granberg (Motorola) wrote some very good articles on HF linear rigs about twenty years ago. I can research the pertinent AN numbers if you like. As I recall, his bottom end was

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Yes, I got his app notes. But I wasn't looking for yet another homebrew job. Let's see, there is already the deck post which also the A/C is bolted to which make this honey-do job a major pain in the neck, then there's the chimney flashing fix that will require me to don fall gear and teeter on some edge up there, then there is ...