1% colour codes

In all the years in this hobby, I suppose this is the first time I've had to look closely at resistor colour codes. My latest parts order included a few .125W 1% resistors. With glasses removed and peering closely I see

10k: brown, black, black, red, brown 100k: brown, black, black, orange, brown

I'd instinctively looked for a splash of orange and yellow respectively. Removed from their tape and mixed with my other stocks, interpretation hardly seems intuitive. Deciding from which *end* to read is hardly obvious for starters!

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

In article , Terry Pinnell wrote: [snip]

Yes, those crappy 4-band colour codes. They came in a few years ago, not exactly easy to read. I'm afraid you always have to have your DMM handy from now on Terry.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

I've used 1% metal film resistors for years. I write the value on the tape, and do the same with SM Rs and Cs. The brown ring (tolerance) should be separated from the others.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Since one has one percent resistors, that means an *extra* significant digit for the value. So: 10K = 100*10^2 ohms @1% and 100K = 100*10^3 ohms @1% (note the colors follow this). As far as which end to start from, if both ends are "1" (brown), then there can be a problem.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most of my dabbling now uses breadboard, so I'll return a newly-used (and shaped) resistor to the container, not the tape. The ideal would be more containers of course, but not practical here.

I'll take a look later. Pretty darned hard to see anyway.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks, understand that. But my point is that it's poorly chosen coding, because it's inconsistent with the 4-band system. I want yellow to mean '100k-999k', etc.

As in this example. And I guess for most of my 1% resistors, which tend to be 100, 1k, 10k, etc.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

You could still get 1% in the 3 band codes, last time I looked... you just had to choose the right manufacturer (rohm?).

All my new resistor purchases are surface mount now, so the problem does not arise. (Except you need a magnifier to read them of course).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Not so much the tolerance as the series. Once you get to E96, you need the extra band for weirdy values like 15k4. I only use 1% these days, as it saves stocking multiple ranges. Except of course where it's necessary to use 0.1% or whatever.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Hi Terry

or google for binocular loupes The medical ones are EXPENSIVE!

(I need a pair)

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

Wow - 136USD! I'll struggle on a bit longer and spend the 73UKP on Chablis instead .

Actually, although I'm very shortsighted, anything under about 6" (15cm) away is sharp without my glasses. Groping for them again after a spot of close-up soldering can be hazardous though!

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I was at an electronics show a few years ago where a vendor of really small surface mount parts was giving away 3x magnifiers. I also purchased a pair of magnifier reading glasses at Walmart. The combination is good enough to convince me that I don't want to try soldering those little beasties. Me finger tremor is about two-three pins worth on the tightest-pitch ICs we use.

Reply to
Richard Henry
[snip]

You're not drinking enough ;-)

...Jim Thompson

small

pair

Will that a) increase the tremor, b) decrease the tremor, or c) make me not care about it.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I'm sure I read somewhere that one end band is supposed to be wider than the others to indicate which way round - I think it's the tolerance band.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The extra digit makes those bands red and orange respectively.

The tolerance band should be separated from the value by a larger distance.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I find this kind of thing quite useful.

Keep a 5x and 7x handy.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

They party all night because they are yoof, despite what they consume. Just like we used to do on cheap cider and Party 7s, remember?

Reply to
Paul Burke

snip

how about RedBull and vodka? It keeps the yooth of today partying all night, vodka to calm the nerves, and caffine for the reciprocal

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

Of course ther was. The softer girls drank Woodpecker. Natch was the base minimum for the rest of us, and farm scrumpy if we could get it (it usually meant we couldn't get it later though).

Deepest apologies. Double Diamond, anyone?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

You mean that there was "expensive " cider?

please dont mention Party 7's, this is supposed to be a civilised NG