0.1 uF 0603 faves

Hi, All,

I'm getting ready to ship off a few batches of boards to the CMs. (We use PCBWay for not-too-sensitive stuff and PNC in NJ for stuff that might be attractive to rip off--nothing against PCBWay in particular, but Shenzhen does sort of have that habit.)

Since we've been doing small volumes to date, I generally order all the parts plus overages for each batch, which makes kitting easier.

However, when I go over the Gerbers I usually find that I need to sprinkle a few extra bypass caps. (I use the bare minimum on the schematic.)

Sooo, it makes sense to have common BP values in reels, which leads me to my question:

What are your fave 100 nF to 330 nF 0603 caps? I need 25V at least, and want good C(V) performance. (A pox on the makers for being so coy about C(V).)

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

My universal bypass is 1uF 0805 50V. Since I seldom use them above 24 volts, and they are just bypasses, a little C loss with voltage is not a worry.

We like reference designators, preferably 60 to 80 mils high, so going

0603 doesn't help much. My production people prefer 0805 too.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I've been using 40 mil high reference designator fonts, or even 37 mils if necessary. This is OK, if one is wearing a pair of reading glasses. :-)

For my more crowded designs (e.g. RIS-617 preamps) I'm forced to use 0603 parts and omit most of the designators. Add them back over the part to make part-location drawings for assembly and test.

Easier for hand soldering, but space hogs.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Our standard size is 0402, though 0201s are showing up on several projects these days. I don't know how large our reference designators are (they're readable) but often they're lined up in an open space rather than being right next to the part.

With proper tools, I don't find 0402s to be all that difficult. 0603s are a piece of cake.

Reply to
krw

0603 isn't than much smaller and easy enough and I don't see much need for a reference designator on every single bypass on the silkscreen
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Describe your proper tools. Solder paste, stencil, or adhesive dispenser, and hot air?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

And if you can get a PCB house that can keep the 8's looking like 8's.

50 mils gets annoying, even if the PCB house is perfect.

Less tombstoning and such.

But for some reason they don't mind parts on both sides, so on a tight board we can put the bypasses on the bottom. Nobody needs to probe bypasses.

 Click to see the full signature

I've received protos down to 25 mil that were still readable (stroke font).

$10 Chinese protos I wouldn't recommend much under 40 mils.

I use 60 mils for big things like D2PAKs and connectors.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

The QC and test people like them. "Rework the solder joint on the capacitor sort of near U6. No, not that one."

 Click to see the full signature

Den mandag den 6. november 2017 kl. 20.55.21 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

so look at the drawing

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Just out of curiosity,

  1. can you use x and y coordinates?

  1. how about using the actual pcb layout file with an arrow pointing to the desired point on the pcb? This could be a separate layer on the pcb file that references the rework documentation.

What's the best way to do it?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Am 06.11.2017 um 17:31 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

I use these: <

0.1u 50V X7R 0603 I can align them neatly on the 50 mil grid around SO-chips.

Hand solder or vapor phase here. No annotation, you don't see much epoxy where it counts.

I just see that TDK has set them on NRND, for being no longer leading edge. Digikey has 5.6 million pieces. The automotive qualified version seems to be unaffected.

In the last project, we used something different that was space qualified. > ? 100K for 100n-Chips for populating a shoe box that also contained a lot of Al to get rid of the heat.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Mech enges would put a dot of blue stuff on it. Japanese products used to do that often.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's sure easy to say "replace C46."

 Click to see the full signature

so when they look at the BOM to see what part that is they can look at the assembly drawing to see where it is placed ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thank you for your most helpful and informative reply.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

For somebody who blames his bad temper on blinding headaches from mold spores, you seem pretty active.

Just sayin'.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Sometimes I almost think he doesn't like me.

 Click to see the full signature

I often get this feeling I'm turning into a grumpy old man, I hate it, but don't know how to avoid it.

I usually send a picture with something pointing at the part.

Has anyone except Gerhard answered Phil's question? When presented with a bunch of options, I'll search for the largest quantity on DK. With some sort of assumption that these are ones they sell a lot of, so must be OK, and will be around for a while.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Very fine tweezers (that must be hidden from others, lest some moron try to bend wire with them), a really good iron (like the Weller WXMP), a Mantis, and lots of light. I have a very fine tip (actually the whole series) for the iron and tweezers for the solder station. I also have a 120W iron for it, to deal with copperclad.

None of the above. Just fine 60/40 solder and solderwick to get rid of RoHS solder. I don't replace chips that have thermal pads or BGAs. I leave them to people who do it every day, so I don't use hot air.

Reply to
krw