Worth switch off OLED display on MP3 players?

I have an MP3 player powered from an AAA cell and with an OLED display.

There is a setting which lets me dim the display after a selectable delay (up to 15 seconds).

I believe the power consumption of OLED is at least as low as LCD. So it seems to me that if I leave the display on permanently then I would use negligible extra power from the battery. Is this correct?

Is there another reason to want to dim the display?

Maybe an image displayed for a long time would burn itself into the display as a ghost image. Would this happen to a noticeable extent?

So overall, is it alright to set my MP3's OLED display to ALWAYS ON?

Reply to
Jim

It's up to you but OLEDs use *much* more power than LCDs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Nope. OLEDs do use more power than a reflective LCD. They're probably more fairly compared to a transmissive LCD with an active backlight. Since AAA cells are pretty wimpy, you'll probably extend your MP3 player's run time significantly by dimming the display.

The hardware engineers I work with tell me that OLEDs do have a burn-in problem, if they're used steadily and if the average brightnesses of the individual pixels is not kept equal over the long term. So, yes, you may reduce burn-in/ghosting problems on your display by dimming it whenever feasible.

Dave Platt

I went and took another look and saw that passive OLEDs (which I portbably have got in my MP3 player) take more power than active OLEDs.

Also seems that some pople compare OLED with LCD + backlight (backlight is about half the total power used)

This page ignore backlighting "OLEDs do not require backlighting, they consume much less power than LCDs. Most of the power in an LCD is consumed by the backlight."

Am not too sure what the following article concludes about power but it seems very relevant.

Reply to
Jim