Where to get HV caps? 5-6 KV, 0.01-0.1 uF

Hello all!

My electronic air cleaner has quit working and I have narrowed it down to the HV power supply. Right now I am suspicious of the capacitors, particularly because the wax (?) on the end of one of them seems to have melted. Since they are about 23 years old I plan on replacing all three of them.

There is one capacitor directly across the AC input that is rated

0.011 uF, 4 KV AC. There are two more that I think form part of a doubler that are rated 0.1 uF, 5 KV DC. Each of the three are about 1" diameter by 3" long (25 mm by 75 mm).

A turn through the Digi-Key and Mouser catalogs didn't find anything suitable. The case size and lead arrangement is fairly non-critical, because I have lots of room to work with. I can get an entire replacement power supply for $120, but I'd like to try fixing this one first.

Any suggestions on where to buy capacitors like this in small quantities?

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Have you checked with the OEM of the electronic air cleaner?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try ebay.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I'm not the one looking for them. You snipped the wrong parts of the message you replied to.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not always a bad sign.

Try locally?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hi, Matt, To be safe you might check the high voltage diodes ( usually a doubler ) Sometimes they can look similar to a cap. There are usually two caps and two diodes. Sometimes the two diodes are in the same package with three leads. Or in a larger plastic block. Regards, Ray

Reply to
Ray King

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

"You'll kill yourself! But if you manage not to kill yourself, you need to buy our replacement power supply for $120."

"Homer J Simps>

Well, the HV transformer appears to be putting out - the secondary is not open, and when the primary is powered with 120 V, the secondary is something more than 750 V AC open circuit. When I connect the secondary to the diode/cap board, with the DC output unloaded, the voltage across the secondary collapses to zero. Measuring across the input to the diode/cap board with nothing else connected, I get about 130 ohms. Given that the input is probably 3 or 4 KV AC, this implies an input current of over 20 A, which doesn't seem likely.

From: "Ray King"

It is a doubler circuit, with an additional capacitor directly across the AC input. The diodes look like normal diodes, just bigger - maybe

0.25" diameter by 1" long (6 by 25 mm). Neither diode is a dead short but my DMM's "diode test" range can't convince them to conduct, either. I think I need to test them with something more than the 9 V the DMM can put out, though.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Try a 12 volt (or variable) wall wart with a 1 K resistor in series.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson