Where to buy "high density" 0.70" DIL sockets

A couple of months ago I asked about a special "high density" 1.78mm (0.70") lead spacing IC socket for a non-standard IC and was told here that I could get them from Digikey. Here's the catalog page:

(It's the 28 pin socket, Digikey part no. ED22284-ND, under the "Solder tail, open frame" section on that page).

Not living in the United States and seeing that Digikey adds US$ 6 for non-US orders in addition to shipping costs (they don't even say how much shipping is), are there other places where I can get the same IC socket, preferrably in Europe, or somewhere they don't overcharge you?

Reply to
Arild P.

Where do you live ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Arild P." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I've bought 0.7" 'shrink dip' types from RS Components before. Farnell probably sell them too.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I've had a look at both sites now, but couldn't find that particular component. It's part no. 117-93-428-41-005000 at Mill-Max, the manufacturer

.

Reply to
Arild P.

"Arild P." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

RS, order code 228-0113, 0.4" pitch across the socket according to the item's title, 28 pin shrink dip (0.7" pitch), seems like a valid replacement. Although, when I look at that part their specs page suggests

0.6" cross-pitch. I think that will just be a typo.
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Still, they're in packs of 24, costing =A327.85, so it's either buying one of those and being left with over 20 unused sockets, or paying more or less the same for a couple of sockets from DigiKey or Mouser in the States. Either way it seems to be a very expensive affair for a few IC sockets.

Reply to
Arild P.

Does anyone have a couple left over which they'd be willing to sell? It seems too much to have to buy a couple of dozen sockets when I will only ever need a few.

Reply to
Arild P.

Why not make your own by using 267-7416 or 267-7387 which are single line sockets you can thern make any pitch and any lengh

Reply to
whisky-dave

That was the first thing I tried. Since the pin spacing was too wide I took each "pin" out of its plastic railing, but even then they were too wide, so I filed away the sides of them (quite a lot of work) which was a real hassle and didn't give any good results. So this time around I want something that works better.

The manufacturer of those sockets gives away free samples, but unfortunately only to companies dealing with electronics and not private individuals such as myself :-(

Reply to
Arild P.

"Arild P." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

RS Componeents: 228-0135

64 way turned pin shrink DIP skt,0.7in £4.31 + VAT.

Cut the rails to size.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Yes, that should do it! One socket should be enough to make two 28 pin sockets.

I've visited the website but I'm a bit puzzled as it looks like it's only open for businesses. I've registered with a username/password, but I can't quite make out how to pay for the items and how much postage will be. It seems like you need to create some sort of business account for payment and not the usual credit card etc. Have you dealt with them before, as a private individual?

Reply to
Arild P.

"Arild P." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Useful page, it describes breifly the various UK suppliers most likely to help. CPC and Farnell are the most likely. Farnell have a minimum order requirement but it's worth taking the opportunity to get a few other things you might not otherwise have got.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Thanks, yes -looks pretty useful. However, thinking about it I think the easiest and cheapest way for me to get a couple of those sockets would be to find someone in the electronics business who could order a free sample, let me have a couple, then keep the rest (I think there are 20 in a package). There might even be a little money in it for whoever could help out ;-) Any takers?

Reply to
Arild P.