source for short lengths for 1pr 16-18Ga shielded

With insulation suitable for under the hood...

Suggestions?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Aircraft wire might work, and some of the vendors don't mind selling it by the foot. If there is a larger general aviation airport near you, a repair shop there might also sell you some, as long as you swear it'll never be more than 6 feet off the ground. :) You need to have a good wire stripper to get the insulation off of this stuff.

18/2, shielded, 150 C, 40 cents a foot:
16/3, shielded, 150 C, 80 cents a foot:

Various sizes by the foot; more expensive but not surplus:

Using Digi-Key's selector, lots of things top out at 105 C, except for this stuff, which goes to 200 C:

They only sell it on a 1000 foot roll, but I *think* this might be used to wire up building fire alarms. I know I've seen some solid 18 gauge cable with a red jacket for that purpose. A local fire alarm company might be able to help.

Mouser has some stuff that might be in the realm of possibility. Annoyingly, their selector doesn't include the temperature rating; you have to guess based on what material it's made of. This stuff

is 1 pair, 18 gauge, shielded, 200 C, $203 for 100 feet. Prices go up from there.

Another keyword that might help is "plenum". A lot of the plenum cable you will find is solid Ethernet cable, but stranded plenum exists, and tends to have a slightly higher temperature rating. You'd have to run some of the 24 AWG conductors in parallel, but here's 50 feet for $15, with free DB-9 connectors:

SXL/GXL/TXL wire works well on cars, but I only know about it in single conductors. It goes to 125 C.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Doh, I should have thought of Skycraft, I was there a year ago.... Aircraft Spruce never occurred to me...but should have.

He does not want to buy 1000 ft. when he needs 4-5.

Thanks...