Something interesting found in an old databook

I stopped by a local electronics-surplus store yesterday (Weird Stuff Warehouse in Sunnyvale). Out in front they had a rack full of VHS tapes, cassettes, and other stuff with a "FREE" sign on it. There were a couple of boxes of databooks of various sorts as well. I dug through and found two I decided to take home - Motorola, and National Semiconductor "Small Signal" transistor/diode manuals from a couple of decades ago. Most of the parts involved are now unobtanium as new-stock in through-hole packaging, of course, but there are still enough SMT versions and old-stock around to make these books interesting reading.

Looking through one, I saw something that I found rather surprising.

Am I missing something here, or is this as odd as it seems?

Reply to
Dave Platt

What do you think is odd about it ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The emitter has to be connected to the base. It is not.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Ok, I see it now. Been a long time ago that I really looked close at what was drawn inside the circle of the devices.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Pretty odd for silicon, for sure. Germanium transistors commonly had negative betas (alpha > 1) so weird circuits like that were around back in the day.

(My 1994 edition Motorola small-signal databook has the figure corrected.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Yes it's a mistake. Correctly shown here though:

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply to

Corrected in rev3 '91.