Single Chip Speaker Amp

I'm looking for a small through the hole chip that can drive an 8 Ohm speaker with a minimum of external components. I'd be feeding the audio out of an ISD1100.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

CB

Reply to
Captain Blammo

Dunno about "minimum of external components", but the LM386 fits the other requirements and it is cheap.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Some idea of size is needed here - a few milliwatts ? Hundreds of watts ? The Nat Semi LM3886 is my weapon of choice for about 25 watts (about $3). If I want 100 watts, 4 of them in bridge parallel make for a cost effective solution. For a few hundred milliwatts the Philips TDA7052A is great as it has a DC volume control and costs less than a dollar. M

Reply to
moby

There are a number which would fit the bill depending on what you are after. - you haven't been very specific.

I will assume you are looking for a single channel amp capable of about 1W max and will run from 5V. Philips Semi make a few in this range but here is one for starters

You can go to their website and sort your way through the others.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

TDA2030, TDA2030A or TDA2040 etc.

They draw a fair bit of quiescent current so are not really very good for battery operation, but otherwise I have found them to be excellent and very cheap. Don't believe anyone who tells you that these don't sound as good as some expensive amplifier, unless he proves it in a double-blind A-B test.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Panasonic makes a nice 5V 1W into 8 ohm speaker driver IC in an 8 pin PDIP. The AN7513 which is available from Digikey.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus