Samsung SMC-2040A

In a surplus shop I bought several LCD Modules labeled SMC-2040A with a Samsung logo, suppose they are 2 row x 20 column alphanumeric displays. Back at home I googled for the Type number, but nothing showed up. The modules got a SED1278F Controller with an Epson Logo and four OKI M8259 driver chips and a 14 pin standard (?) connector.

Looking for a data sheet or other information.

greetings

Frank

Reply to
"Müller, Frank-Stefan (MRT)"

I don't actually know if they are compatible with the standard Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers but the first thing I would do with a mystery LCD having a

14-pin interface is to trace the ground to identify the location of the Pin 1 and run some kind of a test program using an Arduino LCD library designed for HD44780. 9 times out of 10 they are in fact HD44780 compatible. if it works, you can stop looking for the part-number specific data, just use the standard. If it does not, then you can keep looking.

But on a second thought, a 10 seconds Google search yielded this from a Stanford Embedded Systems Design handouts:

"Nearly every pixel-based alphanumeric LCD module made today uses the Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller chip, or a derivative such as the Seiko-Epson *SED1278*. This apparent standardization in character LCDs has become extremely beneficial to design engineers and hobbyists."

(emphasis mine)

So, there you have it: just use it as a standard Hitachi HD44780 LCD - does not matter who actually produced it.

Cheers!

Reply to
passerby