SAA3018P - TV remote handset chip datasheet.

No luck (so far) with Google, I tried with & without the 'P' suffix, and also tried a general search for "remote control" in the hope a datasheet would turn up in an online repository somewhere.

Hand tracing is going to be difficult, the PCB has 3 layers of resist: first layer - solder resist, second layer - carbonisation for buttons resist and third layer for track bridging links.

The remote has been wet, the top layer of resist has blistered and peeled, and taken the bridging links with it.

Even if a datasheet can't be found. a pinout would be better than nothing, I'd also like to know what IR protocol it uses. There's no manufacturers logo on the chip, which is unusual!

Reply to
Ian Field

SAA is Philips. You might find a databook from the correct vintage at an engineering library.

I found a datasheet for a SAA3010 part that is a 28-pin DIP IR Transmitter Controller. That might give you a place to start guessing.

NK1G - Lawrence
echo 'lawrenabae@abaluon.abaom' | sed s/aba/c/g
Reply to
Lawrence Statton

Thanks.

I tried typing saa3018 into the search box on that page, it corrected me with "SAA3018P" but still no datasheet.

Some of the similar types I've found might give some guidance when I do the best I can tracing out the damaged board.

Reply to
Ian Field

Have you got any sort of date for this chip or the board? Then check the IC Masters for that era, perhaps something will turn up there.

I have a few of these and if I knew the period could do a quick search for you. No Philips books in my bookcase though.

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Thanks.

When I looked for the makers logo, I noticed the year was 84, I think week

  1. IIRC; Siemens also used SAA prefixes.

ITT were an also ran in the TV remote chip market - I think that division was bought out by a German company.

All of the potential makers I can think of, usually brand their chips with their logo - this chip has no logo.

The remote looks like a Ferguson (TCE) probably predates the Thomson buy-out.

Reply to
Ian Field

Ian Field schrieb:

What about SAA3006?

It's in a remote control made by Philips; search for EM2000 at Elektrotanya.

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Thanks - that site requires login.

The 3008 I found the datasheet for has the same number of pins, and what little of the schematic I was able to trace (damaged tracks) matches the pinout for that.

I just bought a URC from Poundland - that also can't find the code for a PVR I rescued from the bin room.

Some of the chips in the SAA3xxx family can do over 2000 codes in upto 20 pages of 64 buttons - finding out how to wire the keypad and the page address lines would add another tool to try when my collection of URCs don't hit the right code.

Now I have *SOME* of the datasheets for chips in this family, it gives me an idea of the capabilities and some insight to the address select lines - from this point; schematics for any chips in this family would be helpful.

Reply to
Ian Field

Ian Field schrieb:

Did you receive my PM with the EM2000 pdf-file?

CU

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

There's no inbox associated with my usenet address - its probably mixed in with the million other abandoned messages somewhere on the VM server.

You could send it to: LD[zero five zero four]fieldntlworldcom

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

My 1986 IC Master don't show either Phillips or Siemans...the only 3018s shown are RCA CA3018.

I guess you need to find the European version of these manuals if nothing else turns up.

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Thanks - the CA prefix used by RCA and others are analogue.

The SAA prefix is of European origin - some of the Siemens SAA chips aren't too far removed from micros, the remote control chip almost certainly contains registers to shift a stream of serial bits out to the IRLED.

But the SAA3xxx family were definately marketed as off the shelf remote control chips.

Reply to
Ian Field