Rogues gallery for AGP cards.

I'm trying to identify an AGP card that is fully enclosed in an aluminium shell (with twin fans), there are no external markings whatsoever - there's nothing that amounts to a model number with the shell removed, but it has a large Nvidia FX chip under the main heatsink. As well as the regular VGA connector it has a TV out connector and DVI.

Is there a sort of "rogues gallery" that I might pick it out from - a bit like an identity parade?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

If it works, or if you think it works, install it in a motherboard with an AGP port, boot Linux, and run "lspci"; I am pretty sure that lspci knows about AGP cards as well. If the motherboard has onboard video, you can use that as the main display to avoid any driver issues with the unknown card.

Some sample lspci output is available at

. Video cards tend to be labeled as "VGA compatible controller", no matter how advanced they are. If there is onboard video as well as the AGP card, you will see both video devices in the list.

You can run Linux from a bootable live CD - you don't have to install it on the hard drive. I have used SystemRescueCD before and it should work well in this application. There is also Knoppix (for a full GUI environment) and many others.

If you can post a picture somewhere and then ask in one of the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.* groups, someone may be able to identify it. I would bet that there are probably "how to build a PC" websites that have forums that could also help; I just don't know which one, if any, to recommend.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Someone did.

Reply to
Ian Field

If it works, and you have a compatible video monitor, very likely it will identify the make and at least family of the card when the on-board BIOS extension runs. Won't even need an OS for that. it may also give a quick flash of a cryptic line that identifies memory capacity and firmware rev #.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Someone on another group posted a link with a picture of it & the drivers.

Reply to
Ian Field