Reply to
Baron

It's important that you use 'low ESR' types designed for switching regulator use (the ripple curremt will be specified at 100kHz). You may also find it tricky to obtain some of the small can diameters, do check the physical size carefully.

You can find a lot of info about the 'bad caps' issue at badcaps.net

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They don't actually need to 105C types.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No I agree they don't. However from a commercial point of view replacements should match the originals.

Your later comment on can sizes is very relevant though.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thank you Baron. I took aquick look at the site and I seem to have missed some of the criteia. I will check them out tomarrow at leisure. But I am miffed that they dont list CANADA as on of the countries to choose :-)

regards harsha godavari

-- to reply remove STOP from email addy

Reply to
h.godavari

for

use

Graham: Thanks for reminding me about the size of the cans. Yes, I did check the badcaps.net and when I tried to find some replacements, the local dealers asked what is tantamount to buying a new board.I only wanted to do this as n experience. So looked for vendors with a reasonable price. As it happens i have no experience in things electronic... I am an old biologist..:-)

regards harsha godavari

Reply to
h.godavari

for

Jamie(and who is never wrong): Thanks for the info re high/low ESR caps. The caps on my motherboard were "Capcon" made in Taiwan.

What I would like to know is can I replace electrolytic capacitors with solid state (like tanatalum) capacitors that do not either dry up or leak.Is it a reasonabl alternative costwise? Mind you this MoBo is outdated and I want to repair it to prove to myself that I can do it :-)

regards harsha godavari

-- to reply remove STOP from email addy

Reply to
h.godavari

for

high/low ESR

state

prove

Tantalum capacitors, are _not_ inherently 'better' than good electrolytic capacitors. In some workplaces, they are actually banned on safety grounds!. Substituting tantalum, in a circuit as tightly designed as a typical switcher used on a motherboard, could easily lead to failure, as the behaviour is so different, with the different frequqency responseand inductance in particular leading to problems. Look at good low ESR electrolytics. One classic type, is the Sanyo OSCON range, but I don't know if they offer these in the size you want.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

check

asked

experience. So

in

Someone sells small quantities of 105 degree low ESR electrolytics on Ebay.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

did check

dealers asked

experience. So

experience in

Yup. Ebay is remarkably useful. I find you can often get otherwise tricky to obtain parts on there.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

state

to prove

There are some 'solid' or organic/polymer electrolyte caps out there now that are suitable. I think Gigabyte for example has moved to using them. Having been burnt over the bad caps issue, it decided to change over to them wholesale.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

state

to prove

Eeyore

did >

biologist..:-)

Yes.Someonr else mentioned it.Its chinese company and I ordered a package from them. It took 11 days to get to Vancouver B.C from China and for the last six days, the package is sitting there. I presume that Canadian Customs are taking a good look(?) :-).

regards harsha godavari

Reply to
h.godavari

solid state

reasonabl

to prove

are

burnt over

Yes thats the kind to look for ,next time if I get the itch once again :-)

regards hg.

Reply to
h.godavari

from them. It

package is

No, you'll have to reorder. The guys in customs needed the caps for THEIR computer! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida