Replace an inductive joystick with a micro controller?

I recently bought a Pride Mobility Jet 1 power wheelchair on ebay, thinking what a great base it would make for a robot project. It's controlled by a Dynamic DL50UBR9 controller. As I investigated what it would take to control it with a micro controller, it seemed that mimicking the joystick would be the only real option. I found that the joystick is inductive and that the black and red wires are ground and

5v, and the other four--yellow, brown, blue, and white--control forward, reverse, right, and left motion respectively. 2.5v seems to be neutral, and the voltage is varied from 1v to 4v by the joystick. I thought I could mimic the joystick by applying the correct voltage to these wires, but when I put a variable resistor between 5v (red) and forward (yellow), the controller reset. I couldn't find a manufacturer or part number for the joystick. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what it might take to make the controller think it's listening to a joystick when it's really a micro controller doing the driving.
Reply to
mbendio