Raytheon GA004 transistors, Digitronics 3500 Paper Tape reader

At the Computer History Museum

we're restoring a DEC PDP-1 computer
In the process, we need to repair a flaky amplifier channel in a Digitronics 3500 paper tape reader. We isolated the fault to one channel. Each read amp board has three transistors, two of which are marked Raytheon GA004, with a 1962 date code. These appear to be PNP germanium transistors with a beta >100. One of the transistors on the amplifier board that is failing seems to have much higher leakage than the others.

Does anyone have a data sheet on this transistor, a cross reference, or better yet some spares? We think we can probably get by with an NTE102A, but we'd be happier to get an exact replacement or at least enough technical data to prove to ourselves that the replacement we choose will be satisfactory.

Also, if anyone has technical documentation or schematics for the Digitronics (or IOMEC?) 3500 paper tape readers, we would really like to obtain copies.

Thanks! Eric Smith PDP-1 Restoration Team

Reply to
Eric Smith

If you find a part that is in the same case style that works you could try to re-mark it with the original part number.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Actually, we don't really care what it looks like. If we can't get the original Raytheon part (and I suspect we can't), we're perfectly happy to use a more recent replacement, even if it's in a different case style, as long as it's not too large to physically fit in the available space.

What we're more interested in is finding out the specifications for the original transistor, so we can tell whether any particular candidate for replacement is actually suitable.

Re-marking some other transistor to look like a Raytheon part is not required or even desirable. We do mark all the parts that we replace, so that it is obvious that they are not the originals, and we bag and label all of the removed parts.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

Send me your address and i will send you some Germanium PNP transisors. Betas seem to increase with current on all of them. Have some new "bullet" JAN 2N128; beta seems to be about 40 at 4mA and max 6V operating. Can get lots of these. Have mixed old small cylindrical can, TO-1 or TO-44 (1 ea):

*unmarked (?RCA) good to about 50V; beta near 100 at 2mA. *RCA 2N384 good to about 60V; beta near 75 at 2mA. *RCA 2N406 good to about 20V; beta near 100 at 2mA. *RCA 2N2613 good to about 20V; beta near 200 at 2mA. *? B175 good to about 50V; beta near 200 at 2mA. *NTE158 good to about 20V; beta near 120 at 2mA (obviously these can be readily obtained).

*RCA TO-5 2N398 good to about 60V; beta near 100 at 2mA.

*RCA TO-5 2N247 good to about 60V; beta near 100 at 2mA.

Anyway i will send these to you on an "all or none" basis.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I forgot to say that i had refurbished a paper tape reader that used photo-diodes and Ge PNPs; changed it from a "step" read to a continuous or off/on read and added the sprocket hole as a sync channel using the same photo-diodes but used comparitors. Made a new PCB that was plugin compatible and changed the voltage from -48V to +5V. Speed increased from i step per second to feet per second.

The PCB in your reader should be simple enough to chase it out and draw your own schematic if necessary That is what i had done).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Presumably you can use the address on the museum's web page.

I'm not involved with this project, but nonetheless I want to thank you for doing your part to preserve history!

Reply to
mc

Cool! The Digitronics 3500 is rated at 400 lines per second. I'm not quite sure whether the interface is "step" or "continuous". The PDP-1 can definitely make it read one line at a time, but when the PDP-1 read-in mode is used, or software is used that doesn't have a significant delay between the tape read instructions, it appears to operate continuously at the rated 400 lines per second.

Cool!

We may do that at next week's team meeting. It's my understanding that we expect to desolder both the suspected bad GA004, and one that is believed to be working properly, and look at both on a curve tracer.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

restoring

repair

The 2N1305 or similar one in that series were a common part in those years. As you said, a NTE germanium should work okay, since it's in an electromechanical device which probably doesn't put that great a demand on the transistors. Also, you might consider swapping two transistors so that the leaky one is in a later or less critical stage. But it may get worse as time goes on, so it should be replaced.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

restoring

repair

We

date

like to

be

This was used as a neon lamp driver, and should be capable of a lot higher voltage than 60V. Manual says 105V.

Of course nowadays a high voltage germanium looks pitiful and pathetic compared to a silicon transistor.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Neon lamp driver? Darn; there was one GP germanium transistor that was made specifically for high voltage and was rather common in those daze - now i cannot remember the 2N number. In any case for that application, you could safely use a silicon PNP high voltage part as a replacement. Will get the package out in the mail later today (Friday).

Reply to
Robert Baer

---snip---

and

that

Hi Eric When working on this old stuff, I've found that they tend to use the same transistor in many different locations and under different operating conditions. I've aften found that I can swap transitors around and keep original parts. I just attach a lable to let myself know what I've done in case it dies completely. Also, one thing to look out for, other than leakage with the germamium transistors is an increase in the DC resistance of the emitter base connection. This usually shows on the emitter side so it acts like a emitter resistor in circuit. It shows clearly on a curve tracer. Dwight

Reply to
dkelvey