question regarding the boundary behavior of electric current

Hi,

I have a cable and I send electric current through it. I want to know the moment when the current has arrived at the other end of the cable.

Can I visualize this moment by using an oscilloscope ?

If the answer is yes, I have another question for a more complex experiment.

I have a very simple network with 2 nodes (A and B). There are 2 cables which are connecting these nodes. The cables have different lengths L1 and L2. Assume that L1 is shorter than L2.

I have draw a small picture here:

--A*-------L1---------*B-- | | | | |______L2_____|

I apply electric power to this device. Because the cables have lengths greater than zero I assume that it will take a while until the current traverse the path from A to B.

More than that, in node A, the current is split in 2, because there are 2 cables linking A with B. Because one of the cables is shorter I assume that "a part" of the current arrives earlier (denote this by moment M1) than the other "part" because it has to traverse a shorter path. Am I correct ?

The other "part" of the current which has traversed cable L2 will arrive later in B. Lets denote this by moment M2.

Can I measure these 2 moments by using an oscilloscope? Or what other options for measurement I have ?

Are there some fluctuations of the electric current at moments M1 and M2 ?

Are there high precision oscilloscopes for this experiment? Or should I use very very long cables?

I'm not interested what happens after those moments.

Thanks, Laura

Reply to
laura

Sure, as long as your scope is good enough.

The speed of light (in air/vaccum) is 1 ft per ns. How long are your cables and how good is your scope?

google for >transmission line<

Hal Murray

Laura, You are describing the operation of a time domain reflectometer. Ray

Reply to
Ray King