Panasonic Viera Built-In Media Player

Hello, everyone. My question concerns the playing of movie media (stored on USB flash drive, CF card or SD card) when plugged into my Panasonic Viera TC-L32X5 TV. Using the TV's media player, I have no trouble playing DVD media that has been ripped to MPEG-4 (part 2) video/AAC audio. The problem is with DVD rips to MPEG-4 H.264 (part

10)/AAC audio. The video tends to occasionally freeze, has a grainy appearance, and the audio is hopelessly out-of-sync with the video. These problems don't appear when I play the same file on a laptop using VLC, Windows Media Player or QuickTime.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and might there be a codec issue (i.e. no support for H.264) with the TV's media player? Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

J. B. Wood e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
J.B. Wood

Panasonic's software is garbage and they don't care. They're not going to fix any bugs you're encountering.

I've talked to Panasonic's tech support about the long list of advertised file formats and codecs for my TC-P50V10 that don't at all work. What they really mean is that it can use files from Panasonic cameras using those file formats, not that it actually supports those formats. Panasonic also hasn't untethered VieraCast TVs even though they're decommissioning servers required for them to work. Intermittent Amazon Video and weather forecasts is all it has left.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:12:28 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie wrote as underneath :

snip

I agree with this - my Panasonic TXL32E30B works great as a TV but only that! All the built-in media stuff just isnt worth using its such rubbish, recording through USB etc. etc. implementation is so poor and full of bugs and wont use outside HDD interfaces etc. An expensive TV mistake it was! Picture is great though!! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Hello again, everyone. I appreciate the responses to my OP to-date. I called Panasonic tech support and they suggested trying an .mkv containerized video but that also didn't work. As for playing .mp4 and .m4a sound files, that works fine and associated .mp3 metadata (e.g. cover art) is also correctly displayed. For an MPEG-4 AAC audio file (e.g. iTunes), however, the metadata is ignored. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

I am very happy with my 5-year old TX37LZD85, but then I don't use it for anything other than TV. In all that time I don't think that Panasonic have updated the software, which either suggests it was perfect to begin with, or a "sell and forget" attitude...

--

Jeff
Reply to

sci.electronics.components is not about "componenet stereo" or "component tv", it's about the components that make up electronic devices, such as resisters and capacitors and semiconductors.

This isnt' the place to discuss complete bits of equipment, unless perhaps they related to testing those components. Even if this was the place, there are much better places, where there is real traffic.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

These TV are likely to start getting hacked at the firmware and chip level. Panasonic made a lot of them, crippled the software, then abandoned them.

I'd be poking around on the circuit boards TV wasn't so heavy.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie