[OT] Alarm which sounds if briefcase is opened?

Is it possible to get an alarm which sounds if the catch of my briefcase is opened while I am out of the room during a meeting?

I use a soft briefcase like this one:

------

My thoughts so far:

When I have to leave my case unattended maybe I could loop a thin enamelled wire over some part of the catch so that the wire would get snapped when the catch was undone. It's not a great way and I'm looking for something better.

Could some sort of window-catch burglar alarm (with a contact and a magnet or whatever) be used?

Inside the case I would need a portable but loud alarm sounder which would respond to a broken circuit. Are there any off-the-shelf products which would do this?

Reply to
Zak

Zak wrote in news:Xns98B9C787D946C64A18E@127.0.0.1:

On the assumption that anyone opening is trying to see inside, they need light, either ambient or brought with them. So you could try a light sensor.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Zak made the point of:

One of these personal attack alarms designed for people to carry in their pockets would do this. i use one on my shed. When I open the shed door, I have to open it only a foot or so and unhook the pin otherwise when the door is opened fully, the pin comes out and the alarm is triggered. You can pick them up for a few quid, There was even a site offering them free a few weeks back.

Reply to
Hippy

Lostgallifreyan made the point of:

Which will then go off when the OP opens his Case, unless he does it in the dark :)

Reply to
Hippy

Battery operated wired shed alarm.

   http://www.diybanter.com
Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe the one Spehro mentioned in another thread. Wire up one of those "That was easy!" buttons. At least that would create utter embarrassment to the person who dunnit :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , Zak writes

Poundland has window alarms operated by magnet & reed switch. Fix the two parts so they separate when the case is opened. Seriously noisy and very small, you'll probably get them in the 'sheds' too.

--
Keith
Reply to

Hippy wrote in news:IXQqh.31411$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

True, but he at least has the advantage of knowing the circuit, and can defeat the alarm when he is close to the bag. Small RF signal that keeps it mute when present, or even a simple magnetic cufflink that can be discretely brought close to a concealed reed switch so that he can open the bag and disable it.

What I'd do is make a small hidden manual switch and a delay timer. An intruder, not knowing the drill, won't be able to close that switch before the time elapses and the alarm sounds.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Just wire up a couple of pounds of TNT inside the case to a detonator that activates a few seconds after opening. Chances are, no-one would ever go near your briefcase again!

Odie

Reply to
Odie Ferrous

Learnings of cultural Borat make glorious benefit keep chicken in briefcase make all know if opened.

Reply to
John Stumbles

=============================== It depends on what you're trying to do. If you only want to *prevent* someone opening your briefcase just fit a lock.

On the other hand if you want to catch someone in the act then you could probably adapt a car door courtesy switch with battery and buzzer (see

to do the job.

A more subtle approach might be to treat your briefcase with one of those invisible powders which can only be seen by ultra violet light / special glasses. Anyone handling your briefcase would have stained hands and you would be able to see the culprit.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Personally I'd get a new job. Why on earth are you working with people who might open your briefcase as soon as you leave the room??

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Be rather messy if it lays an egg, though.

Personally, I think something involving a tesla coil with its outputs attached to various rivets on the case would be interesting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Zak muttered:

Andy
Reply to
andy

Could you not rig up a panic alarm so that the pin gets pulled out when the case is opened .That would frighten the French all right .

lol

Reply to
Stuart

Vibration operated alarm kit

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

High voltage between the latches. The culprit becomes the noise maker. Limit the current to keep from killing them, and put a big, "Do not open" label on it to make sure they can't resist opening it. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Might not be an internal meeting. Clients? Suppliers?

- Mike

Reply to
Mike H

well, if you're going to buy toys, then why not go for this puppy? doubt it's legal, mind!

alternately, there are *loads* of people selling exactly what you really want:

- 10 bucks.

ric

Reply to
ric

Lostgallifreyan wrote, On 15/01/2007 20:38:

This might be ideal; "Hr7012 Shed & Garage Alarm Sounds a 90dB. Siren in your home if your shed or garage are entered. Three selectable RF channels for remote sensor and alarm unit. Mounts to any surface for easy intallation. Alerts home owners while inside the home."

The PIR detector is mounted inside the briefcase. It has it's own batteries and sensor. The alarm is in a separate unit that also has it's own batteries. You can disable the alarm unit you leave the room. When triggered you can run back into the room like Alan Partridge holding your 90dB siren above your head, and catch the culprit red handed.

DavidM newsNO@SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Reply to
DavidM