Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

Your best and cheapest solution may be to use a VTN-200 heat shrink to cover your standard PVC sheathed multicore. VTN-200 shrink is chemical and oil resistant and easily available. eg. Ebay # 251726064642 Might be an idea NOT to shrink it as it is more flexible unshrunk.

Reply to
JC

I can get you everything but the 12 foot section, and from multiple sources. There are lots of cables that fit your requirements. It will be hard to find such a short length of a specialized cable. You should look for a local supplier. I used to work in a shop where they sold all manner of wires and tubing in short lengths... but then again that place went out of business a long time ago.

--

Rick
Reply to

The Alpha products go down to 26AWG ~ typical of com cables, with twisted pair varieties. It's kind of difficult to determine the guages in the Olflex info, due to notation method in product tables, but I'm pretty sure they'll offer the same thing. By the way, PVC=Vinyl, oil and chemical resistant or otherwise.

RL

Reply to
legg

Insulation is rarely PVC-only??that would be plumbing pipe. It?s the plasticizers mixed with the PVC that make it flexible and may not be oil-resistant. Wash that in a petroleum product and the plasticizers give up the ghost.

Reply to
DaveC

That?s a great idea. I?ll check it out.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:41:54 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

Shrinking the right size choice can be flexible, but also then becomes THICKER, as in a better armor against abrasion.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Good point, choose the diameter carefully depending on whether you intend to shrink it or not.

Reply to
JC

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:19:42 -0500, JC Gave us:

Depending on whether you want the item you are shrinking over to be grasped tightly by the shrink or not.

I have shrank tubing over a ferrite rod and noticed that a poor choice results in a bit of magnetostriction. I choose one that fully shrinks but still does not quite 'grasp' the rod. I get multiple benefits. No more magnetostriction and a thicker spacing from the rod to my subsequent winding, resulting in less parasitic capacitance and a better antenna/inductor/transformer, etc.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The spec sheet for either Alpha or Lapp products will list the degree of resistance to oil or chemicals. I don't know what you go by, but gasoline and other solvents don't tend to hang around - they may sometimes be intentionally used in cleaning, but only under 'user beware' conditions. Both mfrs sell on-line. Alpha will cut.

Mogami has made superior products for a long time before being purchased by OKI. I doubt quality has suffered, but they do not and have never addressed industrial environmental requirements - that's not their market.

Get off the pot.

RL

Reply to
legg

Good point... The ends of the shrink shroud will have to be protected to ensure that the oil does not get inside. Otherwise it will "hang around" doing its worst!

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

I will put RTV in the end of the shrink and apply heat. Shrink-n-seal. All this will be well inside the multipin connector so will be clamped with strain relief.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:25:33 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

No. Do not do that. RTV detaches with a sneeze.

Use "lined" shrink tubing for the cable end dress..

A shorter piece, and when heated, it exudes a sealant internally.

One way to source it is to search for "HV heat shrink". It is usually of the lined variety.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:39:21 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Jamie is an idiot. Silicone wires are typically for HV. They are also typically of the single variety, as in not a bundle of conductors for use in making a cable.

HV ganged together usually exhibits corona issues, and is therefore not often done, so finding single silicone wires might be easy, but fashioning lightweight cables from it is not very feasible.

Philbrook is an electrical buffoon.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:33:57 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

Use what you have and place kynar or other heat shrink over it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:46:35 -0500, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote

OK, thanks. Will do.

Reply to
DaveC

FYI, Alpha Cable sampled me the cable in the length I need. Great!

Reply to
DaveC

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:34:05 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

Did they also sample you a couple of 6 inch pieces with adhesive lining? You were gonna seal up the ends, remember?