Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

I need to replace a cable (16-conductor, 28-ish awg, stranded, shielded) on
an industrial machine. It?s used to connet a hand controller (small box
with rotary encoder and pushbuttons) to the main control panel.

The original is a coiled (a la telephone handset) but the replacement
doesn?t need to be. During use the cable will be splashed with lubricating
oil (think dino motor oil) so in the short-term (5 years) it needs to be
resistant to this.

I found this:

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/multi_core/28awg/

which is cable for the music-concert industry (audio mixers and such).

I can?t find any rubber-insulated cables (a la SJ or SO cables). How
resistant will PVC-jacket be to oil?

Thanks.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

Find some silicone rubber sleeving of the right sort of internal diameter.
With a goodly amount of talcum powder , it should be possible to cover
some standard cable, using a "peristaltic" or snake-motion sort of
action, pushing and pulling, to feed it over the core cabling.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

Are you saying that the PVC won?t hold up to dino oils?

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

I don't know what "dino" oils are, but PVC seems to be resistant to many
things.

http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

Looks like there is more than one type of PVC.  Why this particular
cable company?  I wouldn't think the music industry has much in common
with machine tools.  Why not use a cable from one of the cable companies
where they specify it for industrial use around oils?

http://www.igus.com/wpck/15050/overview_motorcables?C=US&L=en

http://www.lappusa.com/10150description.htm

If this cable will be continually bent and moved, don't you need a
special type of cable for that?  I would contact one of the cable
manufacturers and find out what they recommend.

--

Rick

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

  Yeah, right.  That's why NASA uses it exactly NOWHERE.

  The same is true of the makers of nuclear power facilities.

  Sometimes you show a true lack of knowledge and experience.

  You remind me of Donald Trump.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

from crude oil source, as opposed to synthetics

The cable is available by-the-foot (I need 12 ft total). The local
distributor emailed the Japanese manufacturer who confirmed that they tested
this PVC cable with gasoline which flushed out the particular plasticizers
and hardened the remaining PVC. So no-go.

Specs look good, but minimum order is roll of 100 ft. I might be able to sell
remainder on e-Flea but then again, maybe not. Might get mfgr. to sample.
We?ll see?

igus.com have a really nice parameter search page:

http://www.igus.com/wpck/7101/CF_Productfinder_US

This one looks good:

http://www.igus.com/iPro/iPro_01_0013_0008_USen.htm?ArtNrCF%10.01.18&c=US&l=en

It will be used occasionally--it?s a convenience (occasional-use) hand
control box.

Have requested samples from those that look good.

Thanks.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

PVC jacketed cables are oil resistant.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

  THHN or Teflon

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/multi_core/28awg/

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

No useful info on oil resistance there.

The oil resistance of PVC is widely variable, depending on the
plasticisers used and possibly other factors, but is generally quite
poor.  I have never seen any cable rated as oil resistant with a PVC
jacket.  I have seen PVC swell, lose strength and disintegrate from
exposure to oil.  A search on the term 'oil resistant cable' should turn
up something more likely to hold up well under oil exposure, at a higher
cost.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.
snipped-for-privacy@null.void says...

 silicone

Jamie

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

Suppliers of such cables?

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this is a question that a
simple google search should give good results for.  Have you tried
googling for silicone and the other parameters you require?

--

Rick

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

16-conductor stranded, 24 awg or smaller, color-coded or numbered, single
shield (foil or braid), oil-resistant jacket. Please try yourself. I?ve had
no luck. I?m not saying one doesn?t exit, but it?s not easy to find.

OK, people?ready, set, GO!

Thanks.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

And cut to order (no 100 ft rolls, please?I need only 12 feet).

Thanks.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

Your best and cheapest solution may be to use a VTN-200 heat shrink to
cover your standard PVC sheathed multicore. VTN-200 shrink is chemical
and oil resistant and easily available. eg. Ebay # 251726064642 Might be
an idea NOT to shrink it as it is more flexible unshrunk.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

That?s a great idea. I?ll check it out.

Thanks.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

  Shrinking the right size choice can be flexible, but also then becomes
THICKER, as in a better armor against abrasion.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.
Good point, choose the diameter carefully depending on whether you
intend to shrink it or not.

Re: Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.
us:

  Depending on whether you want the item you are shrinking over to be
grasped tightly by the shrink or not.

  I have shrank tubing over a ferrite rod and noticed that a poor choice
results in a bit of magnetostriction.  I choose one that fully shrinks
but still does not quite 'grasp' the rod.  I get multiple benefits.  No
more magnetostriction and a thicker spacing from the rod to my
subsequent winding, resulting in less parasitic capacitance and a better
antenna/inductor/transformer, etc.

Site Timeline