Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh0ubRcTYU

Pretty creative method. Still involves etchant, though...

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

In my experience, etching is the easy bit. Getting a good mask is what
gives trouble, takes time, and is generally frustrating.

Sylvia.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 21:54:16 +1000, Sylvia Else

The entire process is messy and time consuming, and you can't
reasonably do double-sided boards. If your time is worth anything,
order a proper plated-through, solder-masked, 2 or 4 layer board from
a quick-turn proto house, and work on something else until it arrives.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 14:43:35 -0700, John Larkin

That's when I make sure my CM has everything they need to do the job
and order any last minute parts that may have fallen through the
cracks (sometimes literally).

I have three six layer boards (mother, daughter, and a simple
oscillator test board - didn't take two decades to design) going out
Monday or Tuesday.  I'll probably take a trip up to see the CM
Wednesday or Thursday to bring up most of the remainder of the parts.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

I always pull a few extra of the smaller surface-mount parts. It's
dependable that I'll lose a few before I get them soldered down.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On 10 Jul 2016, John Larkin writ:

Required SMD tool: vacuum cleaner (hoover to you Empire boys) with empty bag.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

Sadly, the floor under my workbench is carpeted. That carpet must be
some significant fraction-by-weight of electronic components by now.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
In article < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-
september.org>, snipped-for-privacy@home.cow says...

I am glad the resistors and capacitors are only a few cents.  If I need
only one or several, I always get atleast 10 of them.  Don't usually
loose any if I do.  If I don't or the part is several dollars or more
and I get just the required ammount I usually drop one and spend lots of
time looking for it.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 15:28:11 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

Mantis.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Mantis/Bench_Mantis.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Mantis/Mantis2.JPG

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
snipped-for-privacy@highlandtechnology.com says...

I think he is just referring to a light that goes over your head, not a
magnifying one.

I am sure the Mantis is very nice,but just for my hobby they are out of
the price range.  I did get an Amscope SE 400 for about  10% of the
Mantis cost that works well for my hobby.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:55:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery

I keep spares of most of the values I use in anti-static bags.  I
never put fewer than a hundred in them.  If one leaves the playing
field, I don't spend a second on it.  I don't want it back because
I'll probably get the one I lost last year, instead.  I don't want
that one.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

It's worse now that many resistors have goofy alphanumeric codes.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:35:34 -0700, John Larkin

Or nothing.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

I've got a pair of Smart Tweezers that pretty much fixes that problem.

$400 last time I checked, but worth it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I have a pair of them, too, but they don't work very well on 0402s,
which account for >90% of the passives on my boards.  To be a little
more clear, they work to measure the widget but aren't worth a damn
placing them.  Too many motions to use both.  The cleaning service
will get the spillage.  Eventually.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:35:34 -0700, the renowned John Larkin

Much better than nothing at all, which seems to be the trend. 8-(

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I bought one of the China component checkers.  Then modified some of the
normally closed tweezers.  I glued a small piece of printed circuit
board to the inside of each 'prong' of the tweezer.  Then soldered a
foot or so of some small wire to them.  Good for holding and checking
resisors and capacitors of over a few hundred pico farads.

Those $ 15 component testers seem to work very well if the value of the
device under test is high of enough value the leads don't upset the
value.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

We call that here the "umbrella effect". If you have an umbrella with you it
does not rain.

--
Reinhardt

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

Plus most distributors won't sell you less than 10 at a time.

Re: Making precision PCBs with Sharpie and 3D printer

I had a contract where they insisted that I fabricate some boards using
an Othermill <https://othermachine.co/ . While it might have been
possible to do a small, single-sided, board with no fine pitch
components, it really did not work for what we were doing. Producing a
single, small, board took many, many hours of very noisy grinding. At
the time it only supported Macs, so I needed to borrow a Mac to hook up
to it. The system hung somewhere during the process and I gave up on it.

You used to be able to buy rubber stamps with DIP patterns which you
could use to stamp etch-resistant patterns onto copper. These worked
pretty well. But still, doing two sided boards would be tough, and there
were no plated through holes so even if you did do double sided, you
needed to solder both sides of components, and solder thin wires into
all vias.

Site Timeline