Low voltage white LEDs.

First bicycle headlamps and now an under shelf light.

I'm starting to find white LEDs that run from 2x AAA cells - can't find any boost circuit at all.

Anyone got a link to a data sheet that explains this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

The latest white LEDs seem to drop about 2.6 V or so at lower current. So, just get some big LEDs and run them at reduced current, and they should run off 3 V from Alkaline cells. Likely they would be real dim and fade quickly on NiMh cells.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Trying that would probably tell me something I didn't know.

There's a shelf light laying about on my desk - so far I just couldn't be bothered charging a couple of AAA cells to try.

Reply to
Ian Field

I built a few fluorescent retrofits with strings of 20 1 Watt LEDs, so I had to know a bit about the LED characteristics to do it right.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The ones I have just turned up on the market - I was curious how they got away with running them off 2 cells and no boost circuit.

Reply to
Ian Field