Looking for links and order info for PARTS

I recenty posted this to a newsgroup specific to tube gear, but got no
gear, but maybe some of you also work on the old stuff too. I could
spend months looking at websites of component sellers, and use the trial
and error method to purchase parts, but it seems easier to just ask
people like you, where to buy parts. I am a hobbiest, so I am not buying
large quantities, just a few caps, or other parts as needed. I would
like to build up a small stash of common caps and have them on hand, but
overall, I will only be buying small orders of parts as needed.

Back in the 60s and 70s I worked on old electronics all the time. Life
took me in other directions, and the solid state gear was a big "turn
off" for me. Not long ago, I got a few old tube  radios at a garage sale
and that got me back into my old hobby. I am retired now and have the
time too. Fortunately I still had a lot of my old Eico and Heathkit test
gear stored in a shed.

It was like riding a bike. It all comes back to me like it was
yesterday. But there is a huge problem. Where the hell do I buy parts
now? In the 60s and 70s I lived in a large city with many electronic
parts stores. Now I live in a small town/rural area with no such thing.
So far I have just used ebay, and paid the often ridiculous prices they
charge (to a limit). Heck, there is a seller on ebay selling the old NOS
resistors, 1/2W for $5 a piece. On top of that, the guy claims some are
out of tolerance and tells people to bake them in a oven which he
clainms will bring them back to specs. (what an idiot).

Anyhow, there are places like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, etc. I have
looked at their websites and feel lost.... Just too much to sort thru.
Not to mention I assume places like that sell in large amounts with
large minimum orders and costly shipping.

I just want caps, resistors, and some other stuff. Ebay seems to be ok
for tubes, but far too costly for caps and restisors.

I'd like this to be a thread to list other places to buy parts for
vintage tube gear. And also, could someone list the minimum order and
shipping amounts for those large sellers.... Like Mouser, etc...

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Digikey, Mouser, Element14(Newark+the old MCM electronics)  are your
best bet.  Lots of Higher voltage caps and some carbon film resistors,
but I don't see a reason to not use film resistors for replacements.
For Instance, I just received a Mouser order with some Vishay
non-inductive power Film resistors, they work fine at RF and thermally
stable too. Film resistors replaced Carbon resistors years ago.

Get used to using the search filters and whittle down to the parts
your looking for. They have thousands of parts, and the only way to
find something is to know what you need and search for it.

The minimum order limits are long gone too, I don't think the big guys
have minimums anymore.

Cheers

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Neither Mouser nor Digi-Key has a minimum order these days.  However,
minimum _shipping_ cost is an issue... even the cheapest method
(usually first-class parcel) costs enought that ordering just a
half-dozen resistors doesn't make sense.

Digi-Key does still offer a "mail-order" method with a benefit:  if
you send in your order by mail, and include a check for payment in
full, they'll ship the order to you (their choice of methods) at no
charge.  I haven't discovered whether there's a way for you to
"pre-fill" an order on-line (and then either submit it for processing,
or print it out in a mailable format) - lacking that I suppose the
thing to do is fill it out in a spreadsheet, with all of the proper
part numbers, and print that.

There are plenty of vendors on eBay and elsewhere who sell various
parts assortments - kits of resistors and capacitors.  Most of these
are probably generic Chinese-made parts, and I can't swear to the
quality of them, but they're probably a reasonable way to stock up on
noncritical parts at a modest cost.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
says...

I have ordered some resistor and cpacitor assortments off ebay.  MOst
come from China or other orental countries.  They seem ok to me.  I
would stay away from their simiconductors as many have reported
problems.  Friend bought some transistors and they were bad.  I bought
some 20 watt RF transistors and while suppose rated to over 30 mhz, thye
were only good up to about 1 mhz.

They functioned to 30 mhz, but instead of 25 watts for a pair, I could
only get about 2 watts.  Subistuted in some Americn transistors and the
power came right up to spec.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Mouser or Digikey would be OK. Get some sample kits maybe. You can
email them and ask about an account.

Amazon has an impressive lot of components and test equipment and
chocolate.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
John Larkin wrote...

 Wait, chocolate?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Anyone ever heard of AVNet? avnet.com

I was at their office north of Boston a few weeks ago trying to attend a
conference I had signed up for but there weren't any signs for visitors,
didn't know where it was being held. Went up to their office on an upper
floor it looked deserted, couldn't find anyone to ask. Maybe they were
all at the conference wherever it was.

I wrote them asking for a refund on the conference fee, still haven't
heard back. I'd never heard of them before, are they a real company or
just some kind of money-laundering operation?

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Avnet doesn't distribute chocolate.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
\

I kinda wish they did I bet I wouldn't have had to leave disappointed
_and_ hungry

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

I've been at a testing lab this week; they have chocolate on the front
counter.

Avnet is mainly big quantity sales.  If you aren't buying reels, they're
probably not interested.

Arrow used to be the same way but recently opened up free shipping with no
minimum order, so you can add them to the list of hobbyist-friendly
suppliers.  This puts them on par with Newark (Element 14, etc.) whose
online catalog/search is mediocre.

Also Allied Electronics, whose catalog is even more limited and ponderous
still; they're geared more towards industrial and automation, but they do
carry a useful range of electronic components.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

I think the only thing I ever bought from Allied was a small power
transformer several years back for a project, that had the old school HV
and 6.3V filament winding on the same core, rated for enough current for
a couple of 12AX7s say. It was about 18 bucks as I recall a good price
for a seemigly-uncommon new manufacture part. Don't know if they still
carry those

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

I think it was this one though I don't recall at the time the product
page displaying explicitly it was a Hammond-manufactured part, it was
just labeled Allied like the one in the pic.

<https://www.alliedelec.com/hammond-manufacturing-6k27vf/70009000/

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Nope, I'm wrong the one I got has different colored leads and the HV
secondary isn't center-tapped. I don't see it anywhere on the site now.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Wow - an electronics professional (in a major market, no less) who has
never heard of Avnet.  Guess that just shows how far the online
distributors have come (and perhaps how much the legacy distributors have
shrunk).

I was going to ask you previously whether you got stuck with the fee.
Did you try calling them (978-898-4834)? Maybe a human being still
answers.

Sceptre
--
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Yeah I wikipedia them seems they've been around a long time. I was born
circa 1980 and started designing stuff professionally about a decade
ago, I've just always ordered from Mouser or Digi-Key I guess :)

It's a little awkward to explain but I'll get around to following up on
my first attempt.

I kinda wanted to see the presentation I was expecting there to be signs
or something of some kind saying where to go, it's weird wandering
around and looking around in private secure office complex with
employees in suits and name badges and shit and you're there in a jeans
and a sweater like "Hello...Hello anyone know like...anything going on
I'm supposed to be here I think"

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

Try https://www.justradios.com/

There are other web sites catering to hobbyist tube focused folks, but
these guys are where we get 90% of our tube equipment caps.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com wrote...

 Where do you live?  You need to find a nearby bloke with
 overflowing old parts bins, who'd appreciate a fellow
 enthusiast.  Then you'd both be all set.  A suggestion:
 Use real names and real addresses.  Get connected.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS

That's how composition resistors were made:

fit one terminal, fill the tube with composition, fit the other terminal, bake, measure,
paint. If the only problem is moisture, baking should fix them.

Digikey has free US shipping if you order by mail and include a check
for the purchase.

Else yeah shipping costs apply below some minimum.

So far as I know no minimum order, shipping depends where you are and what
day of the year it is. if you order enough regular shipping is free.

Aliexpress has surplus lots with cheap shipping, but the range of
parts is limited and variable.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
   Mouser and DigiKey both have no minimum; Jameco has a $5 adder if
total order is below some value (forget amount).
   Surplus Sales of Nebraska sells tubes of various types, along with
the hardware.

Re: Looking for links and order info for PARTS
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 01:47:24 -0800, Robert Baer

Fair Radio Sales is still around. I used to buy from them when I was a
kid. They still have some WWII surplus tubes.

lunatic fringe electronics

Site Timeline