LCD interchageability between brands etc.

was wanting to know if the there is enough similarity between laptops brands and displays that they can be wired to work with different brands or sizes.

for example, in making a car computer can i use a p4 class notebook with a broken screen discard the screen and wire a (detached and extended) smaller say...netbook 10" LCD in its place? i realize it wont just plug in or bolt up the same but i do solder some and with a pinout list for each device are there the same basic x number of wires that work the same or are the differences more complicated?

Reply to
divxdude

I'm guessing you might have problems, in this case the larger screen may have more pixels and native resolution. I don't know about the interface electronics, I do know that some laptop screens are standard, though not all. Good luck if you try and post a follow up as I'd be interested to know how you get on or any more on the subject.

Reply to
Clyde

Yes, it is more complicated. It's not a simple analog VGA signal going to the LCD panel inside the laptop.

But if you can find a separate small LCD monitor with a VGA input, you could probably use the laptop's VGA output.

Usually there's a function key with a picture of a screen on it, and if you press "fn" plus that key, the laptop will cycle between its internal and external connection.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1