IDE male crimp connectors for 80-wire cables?

Please can anyone point me toward a source of crimp connectors for IDE, male IDC type for 80 wires cables? I've only found some for 40-wire cables, and even those are rare. All standard parts are female, if attached to cables, but I want to adapt something in a very confined space...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I take it you mean you want an 80 pin connector for the 80 wire cables *that are used with contemporary IDE hard drives*?

In that case, you're after something like:

. I've used these before, and due to the higher density you have to be a little more careful putting them together, but in general they work fine. They certainly aren't cheap though!

For regular 0.1" x 0.1" spaced IDCs, I've never seen one above 60 pins, and those were rather annoying to terminate properly (it's >3" long, so applying consistent pressure across the entire body requires decent jigs).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

This thread could get very long if people don't read what I wrote before posting. :) Thanks for the suggestions, but those aren't it at all, the male connectors are PCB mounted in that PDF. Also, the standard types for 80-wire cables are female, I need male crimp connectors for the cables if I can get some, those would be the easiest solution for me. I can make an adapter with the

40-wire equivalents and a very short bit of 40-wire cable, but it's an ugly solution.
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

True.

Are, sorry, MALE connectors. I've never seen those, and I'm wililng to bet you won't find such a thing unless you're willing to order many hundreds if not some thousands. Even the male IDCs for the 50 mil-spaced ribbon cables aren't the most common thing in the world, nor are they at all cheap.

Any particular reason you need males?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I found some 40-wire male IDE connectors for $5 each on eBay. Not too shabby, considering the use I'd get, but not ideal. Fiddly, connecting each wire pair twisted through 180° and lining them all up for the second connector to form an adapter. I want to connect a cheap CF to IDE adapter. The only kind I could find small enough to fit in the confined flat space I have in a 1U racked ITX machine, are those that are intended to plug right into the mainboard. They were very cheap, work well, and their contacts are on-plane with the board instead of sticking up in a bulky form. I might just do away with the insistence on 80-wire lines though, as the card can't do more than UDM mode 2, and the hard drive on the same buss is for bulk storage, not speed, but eben so, it would be good to know if these 80-wire connectors come in both forms, male as well as female.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan