Help identifying dead electro. cap polarity?

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

It has no polarity markings. One terminal is common with the metal case. Is this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are empty:

Markings on the side are:

B41111-B7108-T 1000uF 40V- GERMANY GPF DIN 41332 06.78

I find a few references to a Siemens part that is similar:

but no datasheet can I find. Can someone more resourceful than I find one?

I cut open one of these caps. It is paper & foil (or so it seems) spiral wrap construction. Can polarity be determined by internal construction? Is the center terminal always one pole (ie, always +)?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sparky

"Sparky"

** Bullshit.

** Yep.

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case ?????

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

To me they look like "1" (not a "-"), "2", "3", and a really weird "4".

But with your help along with the one pin (yes, it's the (-) one) in common with the case pretty much confirms polarity.

Thanks!

Nighty-night! Lights out!

Reply to
notme

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4 with a bit missing, and you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a normal order. So the situation is far from clear enough to form a basis for installing a replacement.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"notme"

** Nonsense.

The stroke on the " 1" has been made longer to avoid confusion with the " - " sign.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Stupider than Anyone Else on Earth "

** Same order as an 3 pin XLR.

** Shame about that " bit missing" - eh ??

You stupid, grossly autistic bitch.

Fuck off.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

AFAIK Germans always write a ONE with a tag ( opposite 2) and a 7 with a tag through it that makes it look like a lower case t. So I suggest the - really is MINUS.

Reply to
TTman

TTman Inscribed thus:

I agree ! That is how I read it.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Almost always, but ISTR reading warnings that occasionally you come across one made for use with a negative supply rail, when the can will be positive, so you're right to make sure.

However, in this instance I agree with other posters that the markings indicate that the can is negative.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Me, I'd guess the terminal marked with the '-' is negative, but that's just my warped thinking.

Reply to
PeterD

\\ I don't set a 4 or part of one. Yes the number pattern seems non conventional but what is conventional in electronics?

Reply to
Meat Plow

on

Ahh but it's german. They make the 1 with that little hat. And then when they make a 7 they always add a cross through the middle... so as not to confuse it with the one.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Take your meds.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

This is how right-pondians write the numeral "1". They also cross their "7"s. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Wrong. Rigt of the English Channel, not of the pond.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

North Sea in fact

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Sparky schrieb:

HTH

Reinhard (native German ;-) )

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

THIS IS PURE TROLL BAIT

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

Is

ty:

?

wrap

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

How is it wired in the circuit? When in doubt, this is what I look at. You can also substitute it with an AC rated cap and just measure the voltage across it to find out which way around it should be.

Reply to
James Sweet