Help Identifying Component

Can anybody identify this? I'm pretty sure it's a fuse, maybe 4 amps? Fast blow? Thanks for looking.

John Incontro

John Incontro wrote in news:n00diq$6q2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I forgot to mention, it's about 1/4" long and 1/16" in diameter.

Reply to
John Incontro

ceramic resonator 4.00MHz manufactured by Murata

Reply to
Piotr Piatek

Piotr Piatek wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks!

Reply to
John Incontro

That case style looks familiar - might be MELF.

That info could save some time searching the catalogue.

Reply to
Ian Field

Looks like a fuse to me too. 4.00 amps. European?

No idea about fast/slo blow. Any other marks on it? 'Cm g' is not easy to search...

Any clues as to where it is found in the equipment? Is it open? Did you try a diode test to see if it only conducts in one direction? How about

20M Ohm scale - anything?

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

The exact part number is: CSAC4.00MGC-TC

Reply to
Piotr Piatek

And sometimes you have to get all those prefixes and suffixes exactly right.

One I'm certainly well aware of is the ceramic filters and traps that were used in TV IF strips.

The parts look almost identical, but one is a filter that lets 6.0MHz (or

5.5MHz) through, while the other is a trap that passes everything except the marked frequency.

Most often they were 3 terminal types, but there were a few 2 terminal types. and ceramic filters peak at a slightly different frequency depending whether they're series or shunt connected.

Reply to
Ian Field

John Robertson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks John. This was found in a control circuit for a 12/24 volt refrigerator. It reads open, which is why I thought it was a fuse. I'm not familiar with resonators, no idea how to test it.

Reply to
John Incontro

Piotr Piatek wrote in news:d8mq1eFafmcU1 @mid.individual.net:

Thanks.

Reply to
John Incontro

The prevailing theory seems to be its a ceramic resonator.

It has a fair bit in common with a capacitor, and a capacitance meter should give a reading you can check against the data sheet.

The difference is; the dielectric is piezoelectric and its physical dimensions give it a resonant frequency.

Reply to
Ian Field

Several suppliers include application examples in their catalogues.

Maybe the simplest would be an oscillator built around a 4069 or similar.

The fact of whether or not it oscillates would be significant, but if you have a scope and counter ready to hand, it can't hurt to make sure everythings right.

Reply to
Ian Field