Help Identifying Component

Can anybody identify this?  I'm pretty sure it's a fuse, maybe 4 amps? Fast
blow?  Thanks for looking.

http://i.imgur.com/2gARGQ0.jpg

Re: Help Identifying Component

I forgot to mention, it's about 1/4" long and 1/16" in diameter.

Re: Help Identifying Component

Looks like a fuse to me too. 4.00 amps. European?

No idea about fast/slo blow. Any other marks on it? 'Cm g' is not easy
to search...

Any clues as to where it is found in the equipment? Is it open? Did you
try a diode test to see if it only conducts in one direction? How about
20M Ohm scale - anything?

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
Re: Help Identifying Component

Thanks John.  This was found in a control circuit for a 12/24 volt
refrigerator.  It reads open, which is why I thought it was a fuse.  I'm
not familiar with resonators, no idea how to test it.

Re: Help Identifying Component

The prevailing theory seems to be its a ceramic resonator.

It has a fair bit in common with a capacitor, and a capacitance meter should
give a reading you can check against the data sheet.

The difference is; the dielectric is piezoelectric and its physical
dimensions give it a resonant frequency.

Re: Help Identifying Component

Several suppliers include application examples in their catalogues.

Maybe the simplest would be an oscillator built around a 4069 or similar.

The fact of whether or not it oscillates would be significant, but if you
have a scope and counter ready to hand, it can't hurt to make sure
everythings right.

Re: Help Identifying Component

ceramic resonator 4.00MHz manufactured by Murata

Re: Help Identifying Component

Thanks!

Re: Help Identifying Component

That case style looks familiar - might be MELF.

That info could save some time searching the catalogue.

Re: Help Identifying Component

The exact part number is: CSAC4.00MGC-TC

Re: Help Identifying Component

And sometimes you have to get all those prefixes and suffixes exactly right.

One I'm certainly well aware of is the ceramic filters and traps that were
used in TV IF strips.

The parts look almost identical, but one is a filter that lets 6.0MHz (or
5.5MHz) through, while the other is a trap that passes everything except the
marked frequency.

Most often they were 3 terminal types, but there were a few 2 terminal
types. and ceramic filters peak at a slightly different frequency depending
whether they're series or shunt connected.

Re: Help Identifying Component
@mid.individual.net:

Thanks.

Site Timeline