Full color spectrum LEDs

A local public park had an extensive Christmas display including
computerized lights that move to music.

Some displays had some large (about 1/2" dia) LEDs that are full color
spectrum.

Unlike the solar yard lights that have red - green - blue LEDS in one
and do a poor job of blending the colors into yellow - orange - purple.
These have every color as well being able to fade the brightness levels.

Apparently these are not any of the cheap holiday lights they sell in
the stores. I'm sure they are costly and sold for commercial use.

However, where are they sold? Is there a certain name for them? How do
they work, (meaning there must be more than 3 LEDs in one body and
blending colors)?

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

The usual places.  Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc.  Google for for "LED
grow lights".  Some garden supply stores carry them.

Full spectrum LED lights are also known as "LED grow lights".  They
are favored by indoor marijuana growers:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights
<http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights

They're a mix of different color LED's.
<https://www.spectrumkingled.com/full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/
<https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights&tbm=isch

If you're growing indoors, you'll need a VPD (vapor pressure deficit)
chart:
<https://www.spectrumkingled.com/what-is-vpd-chart/
<https://www.google.com/search?q=vpd+chart&tbm=isch

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Interesting reading. Seems like marijuana growing sure has gone hi-tech.
Whatever happened to just letting nature grow some seeds out in a field?
But I know that the kids these days are all smoking that genetically
modified stuff that smells like a dead skunk. I'm glad I dont use that
crap. My brief use of pot in the early 70s was the real, natural stuff
grown in a field under sunlight, and when smoked it had a sweet pleasant
odor.By the mid 70's I quit all that stuff, and am glad I did.

Anyhow, those are full spectrum, but not what I want. What I want are
strings of lights, like Christmas lights, with a control to change
colors, brightness, and so on. I am not sure how much controls are
available on the light strings, or if all the control is done by
computers.

I remember reading some years ago, where they use special software on a
PC to program the lights, and the computer then controls modules that
make the lights change to music. Thats what this holiday display was
doing in the park I visited, and they did an awesome job of it.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rgb%20led%20remote&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
I have a few of these.  They're fun to play with, but not very useful.
Extra points if you can figure out how the IR remote control works
when there's a rather bright collection of LED's next to the sensor.

That's for Christmas light shows:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=christmas+light+show&tbm=isch
<https://www.google.com/search?q=christmas+light+show&tbm=vid
Have your financial advisor and loan agent available when shopping.
Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Aircraft with multi-specral cameras

Both are available, leds modules with individual color control ("neopixels" for
computer control)

and strings with R, G, and B channels for analogue
control, whole string one colour - could be connected to DMX etx.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Increasingly grow lights omit green LEDs almost entirely since there is
no point in wasting energy producing green light that will be reflected
by the green chlorophyll pigment in the leaf. The latest high efficiency
grow lights are a hideous shade of magenta come shocking pink.

Martin Brown

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:34:07 +0000, Martin Brown

The grow lights would not work for decorative displays, because they
lack green and appear to be "stuck" on that magenta color. I knew a guy
who had a small greenhouse back in the 80s. He grew flowers. Back then
he used 4' florescent bulbs that emit that same sort of magenta color.
Aside from the color, they looked identical to any 4' florescent bulb.
Apparently plants do best with that pinkish color lights.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:34:07 +0000, Martin Brown

Yep.  Some general details on how it works:
<https://www.earthled.com/collections/earthled-growled-series-led-grow-lights
<https://californialightworks.com/light-spectrum-and-plant-growth/
Mix blue and red and you get pink-purple.  Although they have a big
hole in the green area and are not even close to the same spectrum as
natural sunlight, LED grow lights are still called "full spectrum
LED".  Once again, marketing triumphs over technical accuracy.

Drivel:

I still have some interest in the fashion industry, where purple and
pink have become a marketable color combination.  That identifies the
wearer as either a gardener or drug grower, or maybe someone clueless
who doesn't understand the symbolism.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=pink+purple+fashion&tbm=isch
In a few years, I'm fairly certain that the pink and purple color
combination will be considered generally acceptable.

Today's fashions usually follow whatever yesterdays social rejects
seem to favor.  In the 1980's, the baggy pants favored by prison
residents became fashionable.  In the 1970's pastel colors favored by
the gays because acceptable as the colors were integrated into every
day clothes.  In the 1960's, conspicuous poverty became a fashion
statement.  Etc.  Today, it's emulating a financially successful drug
grower, who presumably wears clothes to match his LED grow lights.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

I keep seeing women wearing clothing that says "PINK" on it, and most of
the time it's some other color. I used to tease them and say "whoever
made your clothing must be color blind". I finally found out that "Pink"
is the name of the manufacturer.

Fads and fashions are always sort of stupid, some worse than others. But
I guess it's a means to get kids, especially females to spend more
money. Because there is only so much they can do, fashions repeat.

I'm glad I only have to replace my blue jeans when my belly gets bigger.
<LOL>

If I wore clothing to match the color of my marijuana grow lights, I'd
be naked. <LOL>.

Those grow lights are not really full spectrum. Maybe the LEDs
themsleves are, but the fixtures surely are not. Those 5050 LED strings
with remotes, sold on Ebay are mostly what I am looking for, and they
are inexpensive. The stuff sold as "Lignt-O-Rama" is more what I was
looking at, but that's beyond my budget...

I am wondering if it's possible to buy the Full Spectrum INDIVIDUAL
LEDs. I'd like to tinker around with them. Maybe even make a Color Organ
that has more than 3 colors.....
(Yea, I know Color Organs are no longer fashionable).  :)

I noticed that a local bar has one of those Internet Juke Boxes and it
has a border around it that contains the full spectrum LEDs. It goes
thru all the colors of the rainbow, and is quite colorful. Now that I
know that those LEDs consist of multiple LED elements inside one "bulb",
I am curious what sort of circuit blends them? I assume there is a chip
made just for that purpose....

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Multi-color LEDs would be controlled by an MCU.  The ones I've worked with
appear to be a shift register.  They can be daisy chained so they appear to
be a single very long shift register.  The MCU shifts out the bit pattern
that controls the three LEDs in each package as one very long string of bits
every time it needs to update the string of LEDs.

--

Rick C

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

If they go through ALL the colors of the rainbow, they are NOT "full
spectrum" or "grow lite" LED's, which omit yellow and green.
They are probably "RGB LED" strips.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=rgb+led+strips&tbm=isch
which include yellow and green.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Then I want RGBs. I DO NOT want grow lights for designing colorful
displays. And I DO want yellow and green (and all the colors of the
rainbow).

I just used the term "full spectrum" because I want ALL colors, not just
three colors like those color changing solar sidewalk lights.
To me, for a lack of search terms, full spectrum means all colors
visible to the eye, which will include colors like aqua, amber, violet,
and so on....

But now I learned that "full spectrum' refers to grow lights, which
appear to be far from the actual full spectrum of colors.

Re: Full color spectrum LEDs

Then you probably need to be looking for a mains powered RGB LED
controller that has output power and programs that suit your needs.

https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax-uk-rgb4253-rf-rgb-controller-12-24vdc-4a-per-channel-with-remote-56-2448

And some RGB LED strips to go with them. You can also buy RGB mains
lamps with colour remote controllers as fairly cheap consumer items.

Full spectrum is generally used to market agricultural lights and over
priced lamps sold to the worried well who fret about these things.

Martin Brown

Site Timeline