Flexible cable for low-voltage DC power

I find myself building a lot of DC power cords for portable equipment. Whe re can I get some flexible round cable like what comes out of wall-warts an d laptop power supplies? Speaker wire ("zip" cord) is not flexible enough and tends to acquire and hold kinks. I've used coaxial cable (RG-174), whi ch is durable but a bit stiff. Microphone cable? Or what? All the laptop power supplies in the world have flexible but durable cables coming out of them -- what kind of cable can I buy that is essentially the same?

Reply to
Michael Covington

It might be too big, but look at some SJOOW (formerly SJO) at the hardware store, or maybe SVT at the vacuum cleaner and sewing machine shop. The smallest you will be able to get it is 18 AWG x 2 conductors, and the outside diameter will be 0.2-0.25" (5-6 mm), but at least it's easy to get.

Might work. In my very limited experience, the stuff used on stage tends to be about as thick as the smaller 120 V AC extension cords - like 0.25"/6 mm OD or more - but thinner cable probably exists. You might have to go to a local shop that does stage/theatrical sound and lighting and ask to see what they have. (Or, check with the theatre tech people at uga.edu.)

I have a late-2000s-ish power supply brick that puts out both +5 and +12 V DC at a total of 34 W (I am slightly skeptical of this number) and has what is probably a fake UL symbol on it. Its output cable is a touch under 5 mm, because it's got either three or four wires in it. This cable is fairly succint:

AWM 2464 20AWG VW-1SC 80(deg)C 300V FT1

This cable probably isn't actually CSA or UL approved, but the AWM-2464 seems to be a useful search term, yielding hits like:

Mouser even has some, on rather long spools:

but they don't have anything smaller than 2 pairs (4 conductors).

Digi-Key has some, that run between $32 and $52 for 100 feet of

2-c E88565 RU AWM 1186 80C VW-1SC 18AWG MS LL60008 CSA TYPE TR-64 90C FT1 18AWG

Even though I actually believe the power rating and UL listing on the adapter itself, most of what's on this cable seems to be bogus. The UL E88565 and CSA LL60008 ID numbers don't identify the maker - maybe they are too old. Also, AWM-1186 should be for a single conductor wire, not a cable. Oh well.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Outstanding! That is a more helpful reply than I could have imagined. Many thanks!

Reply to
Michael Covington