FA: Vintage stuff up for auction UK - loads more next week

Please click listings and thanks for looking

John

Reply to
Jaygo

This is not a "For sale" newsgroup. Any electronics related sale messages belong on or

for Google users. misc.industry.electronics.marketplace was created for that purpose.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am not a spammer you twit just trying to get shut of / recycle / offer a bargain of some vintage electronic components, This is a public domain NG not the Central Florida private bulletien board.

I also served my country for thirty odd years but when has the british army ever bragged about such matters.

Reply to
Jaygo

So, some lazy, clueless buffoon puts up a simplified definition and you see that as a license to spam.

That's cute, but it only covers a tiny fraction of what is spam. For starters, here's what ebay has to say on the matter:

*-users-may-not-post-on-Usenet-groups+zzz+suspend-the-user's-eBay-account+violates

YES, you have been told *repeatedly* that you ARE a spammer. Your advertisements are NOT welcome in this DISCUSSION group.

It is clear that you are aware of *marketplace* groups,

yet you have made a selfish decision to post ads to groups that obviously do NOT welcome them.

It is EASY to recognize the groups you seek. They have in their names words like forsale marketplace ads biz

Other groups, *MAY* tolerate ads BUT YOU HAVE TO **READ** THE GROUP to see what is appropriate. It is obvious that YOU DID NOT. You are obviously just another drive-by spammer who doesn't give a shit about this group and sees it as yet another blank space to plaster an ad.

To put the capper on this, Mike told you about the proper group for this and he pointed to the charter for this group which EXPRESSLY forbids the crap you pulled. You have continued to resist doing the right thing by conceding your selfishness and/or ignorance.

Here is the charter again with the pertinent parts highlighted:

*-*+only-advertise+sci.electronics.components-Integrated-*-*-*+individual-parts+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+zz-zz+Discussion

Reply to
JeffM

I wouldn't say the techies at Berlin University are entirely clueless.

I did say part of the rules.

*-users-may-not-post-on-Usenet-groups+zzz+suspend-the-user's-eBay-account+violates

Repeatedly? by whom ? I have been called many things during my thirty odd years military service but none ever mentioned spammer. It actually sounds pythonesque. Before anyone replies I know what spam was.

Big deal, I enjoy NGs of course I'm aware of the various groups, if you took time to read some of the threads you will not find a mention of spammer.

Not that obvious! I looked down previous threads and saw others listing items for sale/swap/auction.

Are you completely devoid of using terminology other than that akin to me being a mad axe murderer. Although I do feel as if I'm driving by and there are dogs barking at my hub caps for no apparent reason.

Yes I agree, he did, after I had inadvertantly posted the link in the first message in this thread.

I notice you deleted the text from the previous thread I do not suffer from a lack of "savior faire" either, here is some of the original text from the previous thread:-

"I'm sure you know, as well as I, there are ways of speaking up and speaking out and it was the original tone that had me at the short end of the bit."

*-*+only-advertise+sci.electronics.components-Integrated-*-*-*+individual-parts+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+zz-zz+Discussion

As a reminder here again is what happened:-

I inadvertently posted a link to some vintage electronic components that I have for sale on eBay.I thought it may interest some of the sci.electronic.components readers. I had briefly looked down previous threads and saw others listing items for sale/swap/auction and - as it now transpires - assumed my link would be OK.

The response from Mike Terrel was to change my link to something with "spammer" in the text that generated a 404. It is this I take exception to.

If my error had been pointed out in a civilised way - I would have apologised profusely for not only the post but also my idleness in not reading the NG charter.

John

Reply to
Jaygo

Now you are not only a spammer, but a troll as well. And bloody arrogant as well.

Now go and hide under the rock you crawled from.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I take it thats a load off your mind, the name calling is typical of your ilk, I don't even know why I'm even replying to you but for what its worth I've never hidden from anything.

Reply to
Jaygo

"Jaygo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Not that Winfield Hill would need or even care about any approval from me, but I'm with him on this one. It's time the charter was changed, it's a practical way out of this. I've not been here as long as the charter has, but that doesn't make my point invalid.

We often see want-to-buy posts about components here, and those too could be considered as invalid market-based postings, but are tolerated because they relate to the kind of posts that seek info or alternative suppliers for parts. This is ok because most of us know that money is as much a part of practical decision making as Vbe or Vf or Hfe...

I think it cuts both ways. If a person wants to sell a small number of surplus parts, or to barter, or notify people of a private seller's eBay listing, either theirs or someone else's, I think that should be ok here if it's clearly specified to electronic components and nothing else, and provided that such sales are not the primary business of the poster, i.e. they are not just a parts shop. eBay is increasing the divide between private and business sellers, and private ones might lose business if they can't draw attention from those most likely to care.

I have no interest in selling anything here, my problem is only that this argument about such sales begins to dominate the group, so it's obviously important here. If people could do it here and keep it out of s.e.d etc, then it's better than them having to try to compete with wider and more irrelevant postings for other sales of complete assemblies of components.

Lastly, I have a kill-filter on the sneakers and other bullshit ads I see here, there's no point in bloating it with rules against every one-off private component seller as well. I let them pass without thought, or even look at their postings. My whole argument is based on this. There IS a difference in these postings for component sales from small or private sellers that makes it worth changing the charter for. No doubt some will try to push the envelope but I think there is enough human activity here to take each case as it comes, on its own merit or lack of it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

A voice of reason at last (and a timelord), To be honest I am to blame and I accept I should have perhaps studied the NG a lot closer when I would have realised that listing electronic components has been a long running saga inciting a lot of name calling, bitchiness and uber reaction.

I also accept that I threw the teddy out the pram in annoyance but I will not allow anyone to accuse me of being a spammer / troll etc.

I have already had a few private emails of support and questions via ebay regarding shipping some of the components to North America. These components are from the house of a deceased old family friend. He was a radio ham and electronics enthusiast in the 50s/60s. So what was I supposed to do throw the components out?.

Anyhow best of luck with your campaign (sorry I don't know your name) I suppose sometimes these things just have to burn themselves out.

Regards

John

Reply to
Jaygo

I disagree, but feel free to follow the established procedures for modifying a charter and calling a vote.

--
        Obama's childhood mentor, Frank Marshall Davis, was a communist.
          http://www.aim.org/aim-column/print/obamas-communist-mentor/

clifto wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@remote.clifto.com:

Bit early to think of that. It takes several people to say similar things before there's a point to wasting time with formalities. If no-one else says any similar stuff then I already know what the answer is.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan