Diode Dilemma!

Here's a question that bears some thought. The common 1N400x family of diodes is available in a wide range of breakdown voltages, and, in most catalogs, they are all close to, or the same price! Yup, the 200 PIV unit and the 1KV part are both about the same price. Now, besides the PIV, what's the difference? The factory specs show all the 1N400x diodes on the same sheet, all the specs are the same except for the PIV rating.

So the dilemma...Forget about batch testing, and sorting at the factory. This is about us! Why would you use the lower PIV diode if the higher rated unit, with a wider safety margin, is available at the same cost? Is there some black magic that after 40+ years in this business I have yet to learn?

Any takers......

Reply to
lenp

Dunno, but I DO know that when I've had 1N400X diodes to replace, the replacements that get put in are, more often than not, 1N4007s, unless the original was "bigger".

So I guess that means I tend toward the "same price? Overkill it, baby!" end of the spectrum.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

According to old Motorola data, there appear to be two dies. One for

1N4001-4005 and another for 1N4006-7. The recovery times are much slower (and the junction capacitance less) for the higher voltage die.

Probably not much difference between the two unless you're doing something like a high-audio-frequency C-W voltage multiplier.

There also is a tiny difference in price, and it continues up into the zillion unit price with generic rectifiers. I tend to use the 1N4005 for everything low voltage (not mains voltage or above).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Where can I get the specs for the 1N4003. I have 50 of them I'd like to sell, but am unsure of the specs.

Ken WB6QWF ohio microwave dottttt commmmm

Reply to
kenspam

If you get more than about a buck and a half for *ALL* of them, I'll be surprised. Postage to ship them to the buyer is likely to be multiples of the sale price. As in "You're wasting your time".

As for specs for 'em, googling on 1N4003 will give you as many hits for them as you care to read through. Betcha one of the first 5 is to a datasheet that covers the whole 1N400X series.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.
Reply to
Don Bruder

Google on the part number, first hit gives you a PDF datasheet.

But they're hardly worth selling. You'll probably do better looking for loose change on the sidewalk.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

has links to datasheets from a number of manufacturers, but they are common 2000 PIV 1A rectifiers.

Now, I have a question for you. I have a tray of 10 NOS Magnum Microwave MH22T oscillator modules that were used in the Microdyne

1100-LPR C-Band Sat TV receivers, and I have been looking for the specs.
--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm sorry, the MH22T is a 4 GHz mixer in a four lead can a little larger than a TO-5. I was in a hurry to leave and didn't realize I had posted the wrong description till I was on the highway.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

of

most

PIV

I'm not sure if this applies to the 1N4001 diodes, but it does to the

1N5817 thru 19. The higher voltage ones have slightly higher V drop at 1 amp, so it pays to use the lower V ones if you don't need the higher V.

With things like switching power supplies, the reverse recovery becomes important. You really should not use the 1N4001 series with these. But the reverse recovery and leakage does make some contribution to the power dissipated by the diode, so using a higher V one might be wise.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Years ago I was told by a Moto FAE that the higher voltage 1N400x parts have a higher dynamic Z figure. I've personally seen higher V drops in "real circuits", too, with the higher v parts.

TJL

Reply to
Tom LeMense