DIN standards for reading?

Wikipedia lists DIN standards but has only a brief description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DIN_standards

Are the DIN standards on-line for reading&perusing (and, in my case,
translating)?

Thanks.

Re: DIN standards for reading?

Maybe a brief description. But you need to purchase the ISO from ANSI
or other provider.
I've never found a DIN standard freely availble.

Cheers

Re: DIN standards for reading?

That depends on your definition of "freely available". At university
libraries in Germany (at least at universities with technical
faculties), you usually have the possibility to read all DIN standards
including VDE standards at one or more computer. Sometimes you also have
the possibility to print them on paper for a fee. (DIN, not VDE.)

Best regards,

Sebastian

Re: DIN standards for reading?

Some libraries also have paid for the subscription to the online
database (Perinorm), so that their users can download these standards as
PDF files from a website. There's no need then to print them at library.

Christian
--
Christian Zietz  -  CHZ-Soft  -  czietz (at) gmx.net
WWW: http://www.chzsoft.de/

Which DIN?

RL

Re: DIN standards for reading?

No one in particular. Am having a friendly disagreement with a friend about
what a DIN number means. Does it define things like material, tolerance,
finish and hardness or does it include size, thread, etc? In other words,
does the DIN number define a particular, specific fastener (including
dimension) or only the standards to which that fastener is measured against?

I always related DINs to the US MILSPEC standards which generally are
standards, not product definitions.

Re: DIN standards for reading?

DIN defines the size of things.  Say a bolt with  a certain DIN number
standard will be so many milimeters long, have a certain number of thread
pitch per mm.

I don't know for sure, but suspect that it does not mean the bolt will be so
strong or hardened unless aditional informationis added.

Not that familiar with metric standards, but lets use an American bolt as an
example.  If you want a 1/4-20 bolt then it will be 1/4 inch in diameter and
have 20 threads per inch.  It may or may not be hardened, made of
steel,aluminum or any thing else unless specified.

Re: DIN standards for reading?

OK, thanks.

Seems the definition of ?standard? (ie, ?a level of quality or
attainment?) is being blurred. It looks like they are being used as product
definitions to define specifically all dimensions and aspects of a thing.

Re: DIN standards for reading?

Yes, the DIN is mainly standards so that the parts all fit together.  It
does not normally define the quality of the item.

Re: DIN standards for reading?

Not quite. It is not like one DIN-Number == one bolt (or something
else). Each number defines a certain kind of things, therms and
everything :-). There is a DIN-Norm for writing a text (i.e. a thesis at
the university), there is a DIN-Norm for drawing a cirquit diagram, a
house, a 3D drawing or anything else. Most of them have a EN "in back".
For example DIN825-1 defines laser safety (yes, I know, this norm is now
obsolete but I'm too lazy to find new numbers), the adequate European
Norm is EN60825-1.
Another example: DIN912 defines cylindrical bolts with allen key
fitting. All of them. Including UNC & UNF i.e. non-metric bolts.

HTH

Waldemar

Site Timeline