component datasheets in machine-readable (XML?) form

In this day and age of Web 2.0 where loads of websites have APIs supporting everything from email to maps to photos to house prices to who knows what, why aren't electronic component datasheets available in some kind of parseable form like XML? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know what if anything is going on in this arena.

I've spent a few minutes googling & came with a couple of things that seem to have gone nowhere. (lookup terms like "ECIX" and "quickdata" and "PIP2A9" and "ECMData" and you get things like this:

)

Reply to
Jason S