Clock Counter for sub-sampling

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a programmable clock divider that can take in an input clock, and output a clock at the same frequency, or at half, a quarter, etc., and can be programmed using a microcontroller. any suggestions?

Reply to
Adam.Klaptocz

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

What frequencies are you thinking about and how many stages do you need? That's crucial to know to make a suggestion that makes sense.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Assuming the frequency range is suitable, the Roboclock series from Cypress would meet your needs, but then so would a lot of other lines - depends on what you need in terms of phase relationships between input and output (if any).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

The input frequency will be in the range of 25MHz or less.

I am try> schreef in bericht

Reply to
Adam.Klaptocz

One 74HCT163, an AND-gate and an NOT will do the trick. Get the datasheet of that counter to make sure you know what we're talking about. The counter should be clocked by your 25MHz. The output will be the carry ouput of the counter *AND* the clock. Be aware that this way your new clock has some delay with respect to the original. The count-enables should be active and the load (/SPE) should be connected to the inverted carry output. Connect the preset inputs of the counter to your micro. The preset value provided by the micro decides the rate. All ones make all clockpulses pass, all zeroes selects one out of sixteen. If the gate delay is not a problem you can use one HCT00 for AND and NOT.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Thanks for you help guys, I think I have a good idea of how to build this circuit now.

cheers!

petrus bitbyter wrote:

Reply to
Adam.Klaptocz