Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

There are lots of small GPS receivers in the $40 to $80 price range, but
are there any that have some built-in memory (or maybe a SD or micro SD
socket) so that they can perform coordinate logging directly to memory
for retrieval at a later date?

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

Sparkfun's Logomatic v2. It's the only fast small logger I know of, and I've
been looking for them too. It uses a micro SD card for up to 2 GB and takes
57600 baud and maybe higher.

Note, this is a serial logger, you need to add the GPS module, an ideal being
Etek's EB-58 or newer equivalent, as it does 5Hz logging and from what I've
seen does better that SiRF 3. (It's MTK).

Trying to find a commercial unit to do what those two things can do might be
impossible, and if you did they'd charge you massively because it woult outdo
any commercial unit by a wide margin. The two modules are relatively cheap
though, and easy to put together, you just need a case and a Li-ion battery
with a charge circuit. (I think Logomatic even includes the charge circuit).

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

I have to add this... I tried two commercial types, and found that both
relied on proprietary closed source code to fetch the data from small flash
eeprom memory. The required programs were flaky at best, and wouldn't run on
W9X at all. Forget these units if you want fast versatile output, and do your
parsing direct from NMEA data. This way you're not bound to any specific
hardware, OS, or software. So long as you can read the Logomatic's SD card
either via USB, or by moving it to a reader, you have data.

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

I'm looking for a single unit that has a battery, a GPS receiver, and a
data logger for the coordinates.

I want to track a pet cat for a few hours a day, so speed isin't
important.

Something like this I guess:

  i-Blue PhotoMate 887 Mini Bluetooth GPS Recorder
  (WAAS, AGPS, 66 CH MTK2, Auto On/off, 150K Waypoints,
  Dual USB/Bluetooth)

http://www.buygpsnow.com/i-Blue-PhotoMate-887-Mini-Bluetooth-GPS-Recorder -
(WAAS--AGPS--66-CH-MTK2--Auto-Onoff--150K-Waypoints--Dual-USBBluetooth)__1069.aspx

(you'll have to cut and paste the link back together)

Others on this page:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/data-logger_126.aspx

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

Might look here:

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/index.htm

--
David

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging?

(WAAS--AGPS--66-CH-MTK2--Auto-Onoff--150K-Waypoints--Dual-USBBluetooth)__1069.aspx

Don't you think Cat will see it in her purse?
<G>
mk

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging? - 1 attachment
Self-reply, as method of repost. Message failed to appear on Giganews despite
being posted there. It showed up on Easynews, so answering on Easynews might
make this show up on Giganews. If not I'll leave it, it's too big to keep
hammering it in.

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging? - 1 attachment

That may have to do with the fact that the post has a binary
attachment. Many news providers ignore messages with binaries
posted to non-binaries newsgroups.

In my case, I did see it.

Brian
Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging? - 1 attachment

Thanks for confiming. Actually I've seen several recent posts of mine go
agley on Giganews anyway. I usually don't bother because most of them get
replies so I know they went through. I think this is more related to that
issue than the attached file, though both can be true at once too.

First time I've ever seen you here. :) Phil Hobbs and James Sweet haunt both
groups though, I think.

Re: Any small GPS receiver with built-in data logging? - 1 attachment

A thought... wouldn't Giganews refuse to propagate a message with an attached
binary, or would they pass it on the assumption that other providers might
allow it to show up even if they don't? (Either way, it doesn't explain why
Giganews recently dropped about 6 small text messages).

Site Timeline