9v battery terminal blanks?

I want to keep some NiMH rechargeable 9v batteries in my tool bag (well, my meter bag, actually). I am currently running a double loop of electrical tape around the entire battery to insulate the terminals.

I'd like to use something more durable (one battery has had a terminal peek through the tape) and was thinking about something like a battery terminal connector but made of insulating material like nylon (probably of some cheaper plastic).

Does such a thing exist? I did web searches, but maybe my terminology isn't spot-on...

Ideas?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:gPydnWCmjt8XbNrUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

"Available in Non-conductive Material" Highly amusing. I was wondering what other kind they had in mind. >:)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

You have to spell out EVERYTHING to purchasing departments. If you didn't, they would find a good deal on conductive plastic caps then complain that the battery vendor was shipping dead batteries.

Have you ever had to spend hours explaining why they can't just substitute something with similar name? At one job they found some molded inductors at a GREAT price. The 'Item Master' specified the only brands and series that were acceptable. Their logic was that the cheap part wasn't on the list, because it was 5% tolerance while the listed inductors were all 10% tolerance, and that 5% was always better than

10%. The problem was, the inductance was right on the line between two core materials. Some vendors used one, and the rest used the other. The SRF went way down on the wrong core material, and that was what they bought. They were used to decouple a RF buffer from the power supply. The stage normally had a gain of around 10. The wrong coil dropped the output to about .03 of the input.

OTOH, conductive plastic would be good on the battery connector of new equipment, to protect it during shipment. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:6tKdnY6yjYhZldXUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Cool. If I was the sale's rep on a job like that I'd risk my job having fun with them, and advocate the durability of an all metal 'solution'. >:)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

That would be my suggestion, you could insulate the terminal rivets with blobs of epoxy glue or with some makes of battery the blank plastic insert from the bottom could be superglued on for insulation.

Reply to
ian field

Trouble is the demand is for smaller and smaller units - yet as things go digital power consumption increases. So to the best of my knowledge there's no modern small RM pack that will give a long day's use without a change on alkalines. I'd need a guaranteed life of 12 hours unless changing the batteries is as easy as at present. And then there's the capital cost of the LiIon types. The beauty of using stock sizes is they can be bought anywhere in an emergency.

Many pro RMs do use DC to DC convertors.

--
*I couldn\'t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On my latest project, I have a BUNCH of wireless mikes that need both AA and 9V batteries. I bought a charging station that can handle all of them, and have a simple rule - after a meeting, you take out ALL the batteries and put them in the charger. Since each meeting is usually around 2 hours, it gets too confusing to do an every so often replacement policy, esp. with non-rechargables.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Good. I take the rest of th epoints, but the bottom line is that energy density requirements are rising, and batteries of small cels are lunacy, it's obviously poor spatial economy, so sorting THAT issue should be the priority. The sooner microphone makers get demand for models that fix this the sooner all the other issues will diminish. PDA makers have had to learn this, so it should be easy, just copy best practise.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Charlie E. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lithium ion cells have an energy density so great that you DON'T have to work on a 2 hour basis. Just put them in at the start of the day's work, then top them up overnight. So long as you organise the changeover in a few minutes at each day's end, no worries. But changing to one type of cell requirement will help. If you chose mixed types, that's your choice. If you make it difficult for yourself, it makes no sense to pass the costs on, they're still costs, one way or another people want pay for taking on anyone's extra load.

Hopefully the number of Li ion types won't get out of hand, this is a chance to fix a lot of problems, if most small stuff can use CR123A.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

You don't need much technical understanding to know that NiCd & NiMh batteries have a lower terminal voltage.

Reply to
ian field

It`s not to do with the terminal voltage, it`s something to do with the batteries internal resistance. Wireless packs are designed for replacable batteries. The internal battery metering is calibrated for Alkalines.

Remember the OP was talking 9v (PP3) batteries here, You're asking for trouble using anything other than Procells or Energisers.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Johnson

Designing anything for alkalines only in ths day and age is absurd.

P.S. rechargeables have LESS internal resistance. Try shorting a rechargeable and see how hot it gets.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A beautiful young girl is about to undergo a minor operation.
She\'s laid on a trolley bed by a lady in a white dress and brought to the
corridor.
Before they enter the room she leaves her behind the theatre door to go in and
check whether everything is ready.
A young man wearing a white coat approaches, takes the sheet away and starts
examining her naked body.
He walks away and talks to another man in a white coat.
The second man comes over and does the same examinations.
When a third man starts examining her body so closely, she grows impatient and
says:
"All these examinations are fine and appreciated, but when are you going to
start the operation?"
The man in the white coat shrugged his shoulders: "I have no idea. We\'re just
painting the corridor."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Show us some of your designs, troll.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

Ow - my sides hurt!

Reply to
ian field

I forgot: A frozen parrot on a stick doesn't count.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In your opinion maybe. Professionals in the sound industry use quality replaceable batteries, they are reliable - reliability means _everything_ when a show (or your job) is at stake.

and see how hot it gets.

Try shorting a 9 volt Procell! stand well back tho...

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

"Ron(UK)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Lame. I keep hearing this silly excuse. This is consumer high-street shop level thinking. The whole audio industry is riddled with it. For decades dull black boxes have been shifted with the letters PRO on them, regardless of how tacky they are, never has an industry blown its trumpet so loudly.

Do they use alkalines in space? In oil drilling gear that has to go down deep in the earth and stand vibrations? In pacemakers? In aircraft black boxes? Ok, maybe they do, sometimes, but there are lot of battery technologies reached for when mission critical reliability is needed, and I bet most industries don't reach for alkalines. Oil wells reach for lithium thionyl chloride, for example. If long life primaries with extreme reliability are important to people who are so up themselves with their 'reputation' and their expensive hours that are worth SO many batteries, why not buy those?

Instead of clinging to one aging method that is highly polluting, use some imagination and explore what REAL professionals with mission critical requirements are up to. Compared to those, the industry that makes such a song and dance of putting microphones in front of delegates at conferences is like the hairdressers and telephone sanitisers that Douglas Adams whimsically crashlanded on some planet along with a captain with a penchant for bathtubs and rubber ducks. >:) While we need entertainment and communication to make life worth living, people used to get by till very recently without having to use so many mics to feel important or get themselves heard.

Get a grip. This thread has wound its way round this silly circle for too long, and I should never have got into it myself, but I have, and this is my parting shot. I'll read the flames if I have the patience, but I will try not to get further involved.

I admit to using a few alkalines at times, but either where laziness is more attractive than performance, or where nothing else fits yet. If I could change all to Li-ion or lithium thionyl chloride types, I would. Specifically, the only time I justify an alkaline is when I need a PP3 that is ready to use, between long periods of disuse. For anything else, I find another way.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

rechargeable and see how hot it gets.

John W. measured something like 90A from a shorted rechargeable (NiCd, IIRC) 9V battery. Enough to cause a real explosion.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

rechargeable and see how hot it gets.

I used to have a badly damaged wireless mic that caught fire while in use. If it hadn't been in a thick leather case the user would have had third degree burns where the ni-cads failed. He got some first & second degree burns as it was. The inside of the leather case was soaked with the contents of the vented cells, which would have caused more damage. The brand & model information was burnt off, along with most of the circuitry. The man using it reportedly grabbed it from his chest & threw it across the room before it could do more damage. When they showed it to me they didn't know who made it, and the dealer they bought it from was out of business.